Epilogue

"You are ice and fire the touch of you burns my hands like snow." -Amy Lowell

***

*The year is 2012*

I love snow days. Playing with the kids and helping them have fun is the best thing ever, even if they can't see me. Just hearing them laugh is enough to make me smile.

I've just given some kid named Jamie the sled ride of lifetime. I knocked a tooth out and everything! It was awesome. Of course he doesn't acknowledge that it was something magical and left with his friends, but I'll get him to see me one day. He's a kid of belief.

Night has fallen and I'm on the roof of some house like always, watching the stars and waiting for a cloud to move so I can see the moon. Every night I ask her the same thing.

She peeks out from behind a dark cloud, and I eye her angrily.

"A few days my ass," I mutter. She said Jack would be back in a few days time. Yeah, it's been a little more than a few days.

Tonight she seems to radiate more light than usual as if she's mocking me. At this point I've accepted that she's never giving Jagalan back. I'm usually not one to give up, but it's been centuries.

I sigh up at her and get up to pace the roof. I look down at the ground and do a double take. The white wolf is at the bottom. She doesn't stop to talk, simply nods at me and trots into the forest.

I hear someone clear their throat behind me. I turn and smile bigger than I had since I saw my sister.

Jagalan stands at the other end of the roof, leaning against the chimney. She has her own staff in hand-it's white compared to my wooden one-and she's gotten more modern clothes also, like me. Other than that, she hasn't changed a bit.

"Jack," I breathe out, walking towards her slowly, almost afraid she's just a moon projection like the wolf. "Are you really there?" I reach my hand out and she straightens up, taking my hand. It's the same temperature as mine.

I almost laugh with joy.

"Jack," she says in a relieved tone. She throws her arms around me, and I pull her in closer, tighter. I'm never letting go. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you ten times more," I says. "I've been waiting so long."

"I know; I'm sorry."

I pull away just enough to see her beautiful face. "Don't apologize. It's the moon's fault."

She giggles. "I'm not going anywhere ever again unless it's with you."

I close the distance and kiss her-my other half-and she kisses me back immediately. Together, I'm pretty sure we outshine the moon.