Just Everything

Jessie's P.O.V.

My brush went through my little girl's beautiful, brown hair, along with my fingers. I sighed as the fire in the fire place sent waves of warmth over me, and I felt relaxed. Nothing was stressing me, I had a few days off if work, and I had my daughter right here with me. Nothing could disturb me!

Except the secret I have, and I've only told my closest friends.

Camren turned around, and smiled at me, after I had put her hair in a ponytail. God, she was so beautiful. I smiled back.

"What time is it, Mommy?" She asked. Despite living in England practically her whole life, she doesn't have the accent, surprisingly. And she speaks American-like. Probably, because we have a girl that transferred from America living with us. Her name's Summer Waikiki, and she was originally meant to be just a foreign exchange student. But, her family insisted on me keeping her. Why? I have no idea.

"It's your bed time," I said.

She groaned. "Whyyyy?"

"Because, you have school tomorrow."

"But, I want to stay home with Summer, and practice more!"

Camren and Summer have a cheerleading competition in Honolulu, Hawaii, Summer's homeplace. Well, homestate. They want to dance for the Hawaiian team to honor Summer's originality. Which I thought was sweet.

"You can't! You still need to have a good education, because education is important."

Camren groaned again, and hopped up from the floor. "Why? I already know what I want to do with my life! I'm going to be a professional dancer! Besides, I like the schools in America better!"

"Oh really? And how would you know?"

"Because Summer's told me all about it! And school there sounds amazing! They have grade levels! And middle school, and high school!"

I laughed quietly before getting up to tuck my daughter into her bed. She kept ranting about schools, America, and what she's going to do with her life. And I listened with a smile on my face.

"Mommy? Can I get my hair cut?" She asked.

"Now why would you want to do that?" I put my hands on my hips, with a questioning look on my face.

"It's sooo much to deal with! And I'm soooo lazy!"

"And you want to be a dancer?"

Camren held a finger up. "Now, that's different."

I gave her a kiss on the forehead, and we said good night. Then I walked out of her room to check on Summer, whose room was right next door to Camren's. She was sound asleep, snoring lightly. I kissed her on the forehead also, and made my way downstairs. I wasn't tired yet, which was very odd for me. Usually, I'd be fast asleep by now. But, something was keeping me up. Maybe it's what I've been hiding all these years, something I can't tell Camren. I feel a wave of happiness when she calls me "mommy", like all parents, but also a wave of sadness. It's smaller, but I can still feel it.

And how she talks about going to America, it almost breaks my heart. The first time I went over there, she was too young, and I wanted her to stay in school. And that's when I brought Summer back. Yeah, so one night, while I stayed in the hotel, I heard a knock on the door, and opened it to reveal two parents, who looked like they were terrified. I was confused as to why they would be here, and they asked if I can look after their daughter. I was going to say I couldn't, but I could see the fear in their eyes, and I wondered what was going on with them. So, I agreed, and they said that they would come get her in a few months. But I had to go back to London the next week. And I took good care of her. When I realized that they weren't going to come back for her, I just basically adopted her. Just without the agency.

Camren's been fascinated by Summer ever since she lived with us. She even picked up her accent, and that's why Camren doesn't have the accent anymore. And she likes the American sayings, hence the reason why she doesn't say British things. Summer has a lot of impact on Camren's life. Maybe her origin is showing through.

I frowned as I made a cup of tea. This is a lot to handle. Atleast she can't understand that I'm hiding things from her. For heaven's sake, she's only ten! She's not even a teenager yet, but I'm still nervous about the whole thing. I'll have to tell her sometime. Hopefully, it'll be when she's, like, twenty. And she'll handle it better. Hopefully?

I heard screaming and immediately knew it was Summer. I hurried up the stairs and into her room, where she sat on the bed, crying. I went and wrapped her in my arms. She's been having nightmares ever since she's lived here, but they gradually increased. Instead of every other night, it's become a once-a-month thing, but every time it's the same. Guns shooting, children screaming, and her parents dying right before her very eyes. She's told me this before, and every night I would assure her that everything's alright. It's a wonder how Camren could sleep through it.

I rocked the girl back to sleep while singing. She loves it when I do this. I can tell, because there's a small smile upon her face. Once she was back asleep, I crept out of her room, and back downstairs, where Camren's cat, Smokey, sat on the counter near my mug. I stroked his soft fur and poked the little heart on his forehead, which made him sniff my hand before gently biting it. I giggled and rubbed his ears. He's a good cat, and I love him.

I made my tea, then leaned against the counter and got lost in my thoughts. Every once in a while, I would do this. Just because I felt like it. Or, my brain did. I thought about everything that has happened so far in my life. About how many positive things that has happened. About the negatives. About the unknown. Just everything.

A/N: Summer and Camren and Jessie up there. Cam and Sum when they were way younger.