Chapter Seventeen

"What?!" Calum roars.

I just finished telling him why I was so down, and it worries me because he's currently driving back to the house and I feel like he's going to run into a building because he sure is spewing.

"Don't-- please don't tell Ashton, okay?" I plead.

"But--"

"Calum!"

He sighs in defeat. "Fine, I won't tell him. But what did you do to that guy back there?" Calum asks.

"I pushed him and ran away, that's it," I shrug. "It's no big deal, I was just a little shocked at first. I didn't let him do anything, and if I did then you know I'd tell you."

Calum drives home over the speed limit, trying not to look too fazed. I tell him that I'm alright and there's nothing to worry about anymore, but he still looks disturbed.

"Hey, what all did you guys get?" Ashton asks us when we arrive back at the mansion with the plastic shopping bag of CDs in my hand.

"Check them out," I say, tossing it at him. He catches it and flips through the different artists.

"I'm starving, can we get lunch or something?" Calum inserts.

Michael is at his computer, and when he hears the word "lunch" he looks up at Ashton. "Want to go get us some lunch?" Michael asks. "Macca's!"

"Yeah, sure," my brother shrugs. He leaves the house to go buy some Macca's and then Luke sleepily pads up the stairs. He lays down on the couch after I sit down, burying his face in my lap.

"Tired much?" I ask, chuckling.

"Yes," he nods, creating a vibration in my thighs since he was talking with his face down. He flips himself over so he can see. "Did I hear somebody mention Macca's?"

"I did. Ash is on his way fetching us some for lunch," Michael explains. He gets up from the computer and goes into the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.

In twenty minutes, Ashton returns. He holds a soda carrier that really calls Luke's name and two other bags that must contain the food. The boys all shuffle to the kitchen so they can eat but I stay on the couch.

"Come on Katie, the food's here," Ashton beckons me toward the kitchen.

I shrug. "I'm not hungry."

"Katie, you need to come eat," Ashton demands. I frown. He's not going to go all parent-mode on me, is he? "Baby, I'm just trying to keep you healthy. You need to eat this."

"Ash, you know I'm bulimic," I say, starting to feel hurt by the fact that he doesn't appreciate my habits. I don't want to overeat, it would kill me. But I haven't eaten in a while, it feels. I keep frowning as Ashton waits for me to go eat, and the boys all watch just as expectantly, chewing in whatever they discovered in the greasy Macca's food bag. Luke's eyes are on me, but the other two are looking at Ashton.

"Yeah, I do," he counters. "Just eat, Katie. There's no shame in being alive."

He has a point, I suppose.

"No, but there is shame in being called fat," I whisper. Since Ashton is standing closest to me compared to all the other boys, he is the only one who heard that. Which I'm glad for, because I don't want Calum, Michael, and Luke to start asking questions about it or to fret about me.

Ashton sighs and strides forward in numerous short steps. He gestures for me to get off the couch and he leads me to his room.

"Why're you thinking like that now?" Ashton asks me, shutting his door.