Part 2

Brad Sullivan sat down in the CEO's office and waited. 

Phillip Hammond came around from his desk and sat down opposite him at a small coffee table. He looked serious as he spoke. "Brad, as you are aware there has been an alarming increase in the amount of classified data from this organisation 'leaking' to outside parties in recent months."

Brad nodded, "Industrial espionage," he said.

Hammond continued, "We have to track down those responsible and stop these leaks. There is certain information that can't be allowed under any circumstances to leave this facility. As my Investigations Officer I would like make you the head of a new 'Investigations Unit' to work full time on this. This will be a promotion to an increased pay grade. Are you agreeable?"

"Absolutely. I'll need some staff."

"You can have two people working under you. Feel free to source them from existing security staff, or recruit them from the outside, subject to the usual background checks, of course."

"Of course. Can I start right away?"

"Yes. HR will give you the necessary information for the new positions. Keep me up to date with what you're doing, and as before, I want you to still report directly to me. And Brad, this is highly important. Do whatever you need to find these 'traitors' in our organisation. I want them caught and prosecuted. You can have access to all areas of the facility except the red security areas."

Brad smiled as he left Dr Hammond's office. This will be an interesting challenge he thought.

*****

Tracy sat in her office with her head in her hands. She felt tired after a late night the previous evening. Angie and Sarah had come around to her townhouse to watch a couple of movies and drink a bottle of wine. It was two o'clock before she got to bed, and had been up at seven in the morning to make an early start. It was now five o'clock, and Laurence was finishing up his afternoon shift at the NTU (Nano Technology Unit). He looked more relaxed than he had in the past couple of weeks.

Now's the time to make my move, Tracy thought. She walked out into the lab. "Are you going now?" she asked Laurence.

"Yep. See you tomorrow."

"Hang on a minute," Tracy paused for a moment trying to think of the best way to handle the situation. "Umm, if you're not doing anything tomorrow night, how about we have dinner together?"

Laurence looked suspiciously at her. "You mean go on a date with you?"

"I mean have dinner with a friend."

Laurence paused for a few seconds, "Oh, what the hell, why not? I have nothing better to do."

"Gee, thanks for that heartfelt acceptance."

"I'll have dinner with you, Tracy, but as a friend only. I have a feeling you're up to something."

You're damn right I am, Tracy thought. After I've plied you with wine my friend, you'll be putty in my hands. She put on her best innocent face. "What could I possibly be up to, Laurence?"

*****

Brad Sullivan sat at the desk in his new office. He had been at his new job for two weeks. His two staff which he had sourced from existing company security staff had started two days earlier. Brad had collated all the reports of the areas within the company which had suffered from security leaks. It was time to start the lengthy procedure of questioning all the staff individually in these areas. But could he tell if someone was lying to him? Brad prided himself on being a good judge of people, and at reading body language, but that may not be enough.