Part 3

The following day Tracy was having lunch in the cafeteria with Angie and Sarah. She told them about Laurence's interrogation the previous afternoon.

"Apparently Brad was pretty tough on him," she said. "He tried to get him to confess to leaking information to a foreign spy."

"Really?" Angie said, looking worried. "Do you know who else is on his hit list?"

"Don't worry, Angie. You won't have to face his wrath. The medical unit is clear."

"What about me," Sarah asked, also looking concerned. 

Tracy smiled. "Relax, Sarah. Your area is so secure, it would be almost impossible for anyone to get anything out. I very much doubt if you're on Brad's hit list."

Sarah sighed. "Well that's a relief. Hey, how about a couple of drinks after work this Friday? I know I'll need it after another three days working for O'Brien."

*****

"You are up to something!" Laurence announced to Tracy on the following Monday afternoon after he arrived in the Nanotech lab and sat down at his work station.

"What are you talking about?" Tracy asked.

"Saturday night is what I'm talking about. You wear your slinky black cocktail dress with no underwear, we go to the pub and you pour about ten drinks into me. Then we go and see a movie that we didn't see much of because you chose us a couple of seats in the back corner, and spend most of the movie with your tongue down my throat. Then you practically rape me again as soon as we get back to your place."

"Of course I'm up to something, Laurence," Tracy snapped. "I want you to get me pregnant. What did you think? And by the way, I was wearing underwear, but at some stage during the evening you removed it."

Laurence looked at her incredulously. "You want to get pregnant?" He paused, then his expression changed and he laughed. "Oh good one, Trace. Very funny! You, a mother? I don't think so."

Tracy felt slightly insulted at his words, but at the same time she breathed a sigh of relief. When cornered tell the truth, she thought with a slight smile. "Anyway," she said, "I didn't hear you complaining on the night. Most normal guys would love to have the night you had."

Laurence backed down. "Yeah, well I suppose so," he muttered. "But does this mean we're back together?"

"Do you want to be?"

"I do if you do."

"Let's not rush it. Let's give it a few more days." Tracy was calmly ecstatic. Stage one completed, she thought to herself. I have him eating out of my hand. Now for stage two.

*****

It was just after five o'clock as Tracy pushed the buzzer outside Physics Development Lab Five. She could have walked straight in as she had access to the entire complex, but since it was a Level One security area, she decided to follow the rules. A minute later Sarah opened the door and Tracy stepped in.

"Are you here to see me or Professor O'Brien?" Sarah asked.

Before Tracy could answer, O'Brien came striding up. "Yes, Miss Hammond, what can we do for you?" he asked briskly.

Tracy had actually come to see Sarah on a personal matter, but noting O'Brien's rather gruff demeanour she decided to make up something official sounding.