Alexander's Limits

The doorbell rang, and Morgan being closest, answered it.

I remained sitting on the floor with Laura, looking at an assortment of parts she assembled that has a spinning propeller on one end.

"Should we put some wheels or wings on this?" I asked my genius daughter, and her expression told me I am being an idiot for not understanding what she made. Laura rarely talks, but when she does, it is full sentences.

"No, Daddy. Helicopters do not have wheels." Laura said in perfect derision.

At the door, Morgan said: "Oh. It is you. Did you not see the gate? There is a reason we put that there." Her voice was Antarctic. A far drop from her happiness at being with Laura making things. I could think of only one person who would get that reaction from her. "What do you want?"

"I was hoping to speak to Adrian?" Alexander's voice asked.

Yep. I called it.

"Adrian, it is for you. If it turns into a fight, recall if you would please that it is my turn to thrash this ass."

We traded spots. Morgan with Laura. Me at the door. Alexander healed months ago. He looked as he did when I first meet him.

"Yes?" I asked in a more polite way than Morgan, but only barely. Still Artic, before global warming.

"Can we talk, please? I am not here to start anything. I am quite clear that your wife would just as soon kill me as look at me."

Morgan called from the floor. "Maim! Not kill. Maim! Idiot. Not the same thing."

I stepped outside and closed the door because fuck him being in my house. He should not even be on my land. "What do you want, Alexander?"

"I want to rejoin Ninovan. Some Crew members found me in Clearwater and suggested it would be better for my continuing health to be here, contributing to the community and helping lift your burden as the other fertile male, than running and hiding from my shame. These two Crew members are women you know: Valeria and Luciana. Friends of yours, I believe. It seems you are plugged into the Vampire hierarchy at all levels."

"They are friends of mine, and you are lucky it was Luciana and Valeria who found you. I am not sure Denise would have been so kind." I said.

Denise's name caused a non-verbal response. Shit. She makes him shudder. I beat the living crap out of him and he comes to my house and asks for me. I need to find out what Denise did to him someday. From her.

I paused a moment to ponder the idea of Alexander being back. I would in fact like to not be the only fertile male in these parts.

"Alright, Alexander. I will talk to Simi and have her assign you a location. Far away from my house. My wife. Perhaps near the fertility clinic, where you can do the most good. How can Simi reach you?"

Alexander handed me a torn-off piece of paper, with an Austin number on it. "My current cell."

Alexander turned to go.

I repeated and expanded upon Morgan's question. "Alexander: Did you park out on the road? Hop the fence?"

Turning back, Alexander answered, "It was the only way to see you face to face."

"Why, pray tell, did you want to do that? You could have reached out to Simi. Last Vampires that came here uninvited ended up tied to chairs and Morgan did not hate them the way she does you." I asked, intrigued despite myself. This seemed really foolhardy after everything I put him through.

"I called up and talked to Tala after I talked to your rather convincing Crew friends. Tala did something she has never done before. She told me what a crappy father I am." Alexander sort of explained.