Chapter Four: The Devil Next Door

Jack's bike stuttered to a halt at the gate of a small villa.

Rue took off her helmet. "This is me," she smiled and came off the bike.

"Okay," he returned her smile.

"Oo...kay," Rue took a step backwards. She didn't know why she lingered. In half a day, she had gotten more answers about the questions that had tormented her from childhood than she had managed her entire life. There were more questions that needed answers and puzzles that had to be solved.

Rue turned to leave. She paused again and turned to face him.

"Just something on my mind," her voice lacked confidence.

Jack took off his helmet. "Do share please," he brushed his fingers through his dark hair.

"What's your deal, Jack?" her brows furrowed, and she took a step towards him. "I mean, I met your friends..."

"...family," Jack cut in.

"I met your family. They weren't shy to show off their . . . unnatural skills. What about you?"

"Hmmm," colour bloomed on his cheeks. "Some other time, love."

Silence lingered for a moment and Rue turned away from him. Jack grabbed quickly to her hand. He came off his bike and stood before her. His hand was warm. His grey eyes lifted to meet hers, a searching gaze piercing down the bottom of her naked soul.

Rue couldn't move.

Her gaze was fixed at him firmly. A warm emotion swelled in her and it was growing beyond her control. His lips were rose berries and she felt an urge to suck on them. His voice exuded nectar and its sweet scent pulled her ever closer towards him. She wrapped her hands around his arms and gently moved them across to rest on his chest, fingers browsing every inch of muscle.

She pushed forward to press her lips on his.

"That's enough, Rue."

She pushed backwards suddenly, her head swelling with an aggressive migraine. "What just happened?" Rue patted her head.

"You wanted to know about my Familiar," Jack turned away from her and reached for his bike. "She draws people to me by bonding with them and seizing control of their minds. I can make anyone do whatever I want, that is . . . for a time."

"Eww," Rue smiled, "I was going to kiss you. A total stranger."

"Yes, you certainly were."

"I bet you score a lot of chicks that way, projecting your carnal thoughts into their minds."

"On the contrary," Jack scoffed, "I have never used my Familiar to make anyone do something they don't already want to."

Rue swallowed hard.

"Why?"

Jack got back on his bike and squeezed the throttle. "Some other time, love. There's a lot you don't know and it's not something you want to do on an empty stomach and certainly not in that god-awful garb you're wearing."

Rue's eyes went down. She hadn't even realized, but she has been on her hospital gown through her ordeal. Now, she felt the coldness of the wind kissing her exposed back.

The bike zoomed off and disappeared in the darkness.

Rue pushed through the door to her family home. There was a welcoming warmth to the air in the sitting room. Her eyes search through the kitchen and dinning room. Mum and Dad were out of town again. Daddy was a congressman and only visited Serpent's Creek once or twice in the whole year. Mummy's attention was divided between her gallery in the city and her responsibilities as a politician's wife. The only time Rue had everyone together was when visiting her little brother Ray at the hospital . . . and maybe Christmas.