1. Only the Beginning

It was a beautiful, sunny day. There was not a single cloud in the sky and everyone took the opportunity to spend some time outdoors, soaking up the sun and breathing in fresh air—anything to get them out of the house. At this time of year, beaches would normally be packed with locals and tourists alike, but due to the pandemic, the crowds were muted.

A group of teenagers walked along the paved path by the water, talking animatedly to each other. They were full of energy and enthusiasm since they haven't seen each other since March. There was so much to talk about, so much to catch up on.

"Hey, what's that over there?" a young boy asked, pointing to a large, black object on the rocks below. Everyone stopped talking to see what he was pointing at.

"It's probably garbage, Eli. Just leave it," his friend said sternly. Eli stared wistfully at the object. Something was drawing him towards it—probably curiosity.

"It doesn't look like garbage to me," Eli mumbled to himself.

"Are you serious?" his friend asked incredulously. "You're not going to check it out, are you?"

"I am. Why don't you go on without me? I'll catch up to you guys later," Eli replied, waving his friends off.

He pushed his friend's attitude to the back of his mind, trying his best not to let that bother him but it did regardless. Eli was always naturally curious; he knew if he didn't find out what that object was, he'd be thinking about it all day. His friends hesitated leaving him behind until his friend with the attitude pushed the others onward. Eli was left alone to his own devices.

He walked towards the edge of the water and peered at the object, calculating the steps he'd have to take to get there. It didn't seem too bad. Being young and athletic, Eli found it easy to get there. He slowly walked up to the object, and upon closer inspection, he saw that it was a small, black suitcase that had washed up onto the rocks. There were swarms of flies trying to get inside. He hesitated but the thought of not knowing ate him up inside so he reached for the zipper and opened it.

The stench was overwhelming. He pulled his shirt over his nose to try to dampen the smell but it wasn't enough—he had to get away. Once he made his way back to the path, he took huge lungfuls of fresh air. Never in his life had he smelled something like that before. It smelled like rotting flesh, rotten eggs, and feces—the worst combination ever. He felt sick to his stomach and almost gagged at the memory of the smell. Something was wrong. He had to tell someone.

He looked around in panic but there was no one around. No one he could ask for help. With shaky hands, he took his cell phone out and dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?" the operator answered.

"I-I found a suitcase on the beach that smells like rotting flesh. I don't know if it's an animal but it doesn't smell good. Please send someone down to investigate," he replied, stuttering. He was so scared.

"Of course. We'll send someone down. Are you currently in danger?"

"No."

"What's your name? And where are you?"

"My name is Eli. I'm at Alki Beach near the parking lot."

"Eli, people are on their way right now. Please stay where you are. I can stay with you on the line until they get there."

"Okay," Eli whimpered. He glanced around, on edge. No one was around except for a family that had just arrived. They were removing a stroller from the trunk, having a great time, oblivious to what was happening. Eli wished he was the family. He'd do anything to forget. He sighed and walked to a nearby bench, sitting down.