4. Solid Alibi

It was just our luck. I came in the next morning to news that Matt's best mate Justin was willing to meet us today during his lunch break. He had been following the news and wanted to do what he could to help. I wasn't sure if he was helping to convict his mate or helping to defend him. Either way, we were curious what he had to say. Bondy had already reached out to Lily so she'll be here too.

The office was busy with people running back and forth. The public had just learnt that the body in the suitcase was that of a 29-year-old Seattle woman but they didn't know her name yet. Only relatives and close friends knew and I knew it was only a matter of time before the public knew. Our phone lines were flooded with calls. Most people called in about tips while some people suggested people who've been missing who fit the general description. The team was overwhelmed, working overtime and I was glad that wasn't my job.

It was almost noon and Lily already arrived. We weren't sure what to do with her so we let her sit in the break room while we waited for Justin to arrive. He notified us telling us he was running behind. Something came up at work and he had to take care of it. I didn't mind though. I walked over to Lily to let her know. I cleared my throat and she jumped, turning to look at me.

"Justin is running behind. I reckon it will be another half hour before he arrives. You doin' okay? Did you eat?" I asked. I leaned against the door with my arms crossed.

"I'm fine," she said in a small voice. As if the world was against her, I heard her stomach growl, betraying her. She quickly clasped her hands over her stomach in embarrassment. I began chuckling, not able to hold it in.

"Doesn't sound like it. I'll see what I can do," I said, walking towards the fridge.

"I'm fine, really!" she countered, her cheeks red.

I already ate but I wasn't as hungry as I thought so I only finished half my sandwich. I grabbed my sandwich and apple and placed them in front of her.

"It's not much but there's this," I offered. "I didn't touch that half of the sandwich and I don't think I'm sick. I mean—I'm not coughing or anything and I don't feel feverish." I touched my forehead just for good measure but my forehead wasn't hot. "What do you want to drink? We've got bottled water, coffee, and tea."

"Water is fine."

I reached for a bottle of water and handed it to her. She thanked me but kept looking at me, not touching the food I had given her.

"You can eat, y'know. Is it because I'm watching you? I can leave," I told her, walking towards the door.

"No, it's fine! I just don't know why you're being so nice all of a sudden."

I stopped mid-step. What did she just say? I stared at her, speechless. How are you supposed to respond to that? My mind went back to the day she stormed out on us, upset—primarily at me. I suddenly felt guilty and tried to find something to say.

"Look—I'm sorry. About snapping at you that one day. I didn't mean it like that. I should've been more sensitive. You had just lost your sister and I was being a knobhead." Lily looked at me blankly, wondering where this came from all of a sudden. Her silence only made me blabber on. "I know you want to avenge your sister's death and if I were in your shoes, I'd want the same. But you must understand how dangerous it is. This is a killer we're dealing with and I don't want to put your life in danger. I've had training for years on this. Please leave it to us to catch the killer. That's what I meant to say that one day but it came out wrong and I apologize." I continued to stare at her willing her to say something—anything. The silence was unbearable. After what felt like forever, she finally spoke.

"You don't need to apologize. I know what you meant. I was just an emotional mess that day so I snapped. I'm sorry as well," she said sheepishly.

"You don't need to be sorry for that," I told her. "I mean it. So are we good now?" Lily nodded.