𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷

𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚊 𝚙𝚘𝚟

Golden. Shining. The radiant sunlit sky warmed my skin. Droplets of light peeking through the leaves of the lush willow tree overlooking me. Pleasant summertime almost making me forget my worries. The white lace of my dress brushed against my ankles as I strolled along the path, my sandals making a little tap with every step. 

A gentle breeze pushed my hair behind my shoulders and a breathed a sigh of relief as I spotted a worn-down, weathered bench adjacent to a small pond. I fanned myself with my hand as I held my skirt to sit down. The wood was splintered and coming apart but it's such a delightful place, I really couldn't complain.

I reached into the bag to my side and pulled out a small plastic bag and book. Opening the bag, I pulled out a slice of fluffy bread and immediately a few ducks looked my way. Chuckling, I ripped off the corner and tossed it over towards the pond. They swarmed the piece and I threw a few more pieces as I opened the book to where the thin ribbon marked my place. My eyes scanned across the dates, organizing my thoughts and planning the following week's activities. 

I had classes on Monday and Tuesday, so I noted down that I needed to make sure I had everything packed tonight so I wouldn't forget anything tomorrow. I only had a few assignments to do Wednesday so I jotted down that I would catch up on my errands then. Work on Thursday and Friday, which left Saturday as my day off.  

I scribbled down the times for my shifts and slotted the ribbon into the page, shutting the planner and placing it at my side. At the same time I grabbed the rest of the bread and carried on feeding the ducks. Their quacks overlaying the sweet sounds of chirping. I pulled my legs up onto the bench and smiled at the ducks.

When it was empty I stuffed the plastic bag back into my bag and lifted myself off of the bench, patting myself down. I waved goodbye to the ducks and wandered back down the curved path, past the willow tree and out the gate of the empty park. Lifting my wrist, I checked the time, my stomach confirming that it was indeed lunchtime, and set off home. 

*

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚎𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚐 𝚙𝚘𝚟

I pushed my face into my pillow, not quite yet wanting to wake up. Feeling a warmth on the back of my neck, turned around to see the sun peeking through a crack in the curtains and gazed at it for a few seconds before leaping out of bed and promptly shut them. 

I brushed the tips of my fingers against the back of my neck and felt relief wash over me as the skin felt normal. Just to be safe, I paced to the bathroom and applied the lotion that was on the counter. 

Entering the kitchen, I flicked on the kettle and pulled out a mug and a jar of instant coffee from the above cupboard. Measuring out a teaspoon of the granules, I tapped the spoon on the side of the mug, emptying the contents inside. 

I left the kettle to boil as I ambled back to my bedroom and gently tugged out the charging cable at the base of my phone. 7:04. Just in time to get ready for class. I pulled my eyes away from the screen as I heard the kettle click to say it was ready. Pouring the hot water into the mug ornate with little doodles, I gave it a quick stir before grabbing some sugar and milk to add to the mix.

I sipped the concoction as I sunk down into the comfort of my couch; flicking through my phone's notes trying to find what I saved after my last class. I took a gulp of the coffee and set it down as my eyes ran across the text. Of course. I had forgotten that our professor started telling us about our end of year project.

Create a piece that represents your biggest struggle. What was that even supposed to mean? I glanced at the curtains shut tight in front of the window and sighed. 
"That'd be easy," I whispered to myself, "but when have things ever been easy?"
Averting my gaze, I looked at the time again and heaved myself from the couch to get ready, not before finishing my beverage of course.