Chapter 2: Haniel

Haniel picked at his food in silence. He couldn't get the Chaya and Mavet out of his head. It was odd enough to find two strangers on a random fall night, but to have both of them know his name? It was beyond abnormal. For some backwards reason, though, he believed them. Haniel wondered how he'd gone from a typical night, filled with soccer and schoolwork, to hiding two rather stunning boys in his bedroom. The thought brought a tinge of heat into his cheeks.

"Haniel? You've hardly touched your food," his dad noted. "Is everything okay?"

Haniel yanked his mind back into the moment. "Yeah! Yeah, everything's fine!"

"Did your math test not go so well? You were studying pretty late last night," his mom remarked.

"It went...okay. I think I got an A, but it's Trig, which means I really got a B," Haniel groaned. "Wooster is never going to be affordable if I can't get straight A's."

"You'll get there. Your mom and I went to college with B's and C's, and we still turned out alright, didn't we, Lita?"

"We did. Don't worry about it, Sweetheart," Lita encouraged, rubbing Haniel's shoulders. "College and college soccer are going to work out, you'll see."

"Thanks," Haniel mumbled.

"Ari, did you double-check to make sure we can go to his game next Monday?"

"We're all good. We can't wait to watch you kick Maumee's butt, Kiddo!" Ari cheered.

"Hopefully I'll score a goal instead of create one," Haniel remarked. "It's been three games since I got to dribble out of the back."

"Is there anyone special we should look out for in the stands?" Ari teased, wiggling his eyebrows.

Haniel blanched. "What? No! I don't – I'm not – there's no one– "

"He's joking!" Lita laughed. She gently slapped her husband. "Leave our son alone, Ari, you're going to give him a heart attack. We both know he can't keep a secret to save his life."

Haniel pretended not to have a miniature heart attack when his mother winked at him. He had to get out of there before he gave up Chaya and Mavet. He leaned back in his chair and fake-yawned. "Well, I'm pretty tired. I think I'll turn in early– " He paused, hearing a quiet crash upstairs. His parents looked at him quizzically. The color drained from Haniel's face. "Must have been the dog."

"You shut Cooper in your room?"

"No! I – uh – must have trapped him – on accident?" Haniel cleared his throat. "I'm going to rescue the dog – I mean get ready for bed – I mean go to– ugh, goodnight."

Haniel pretended not to notice his parents' worried stares boring into the back of his head as he ran up the stairs once more. He quickly shut his bedroom door and sank to the floor on the other side.

"Wow, that was way too close..."

"What was too close?"

Chaya was staring at Haniel from where he was hanging upside down on the bed. Cooper's tail thumped against the blankets at the sight of Haniel. Mavet, shockingly enough, was still up. He turned from his seat in the windowsill to face Haniel.

"You're breathing awfully hard for someone who's in shape," he noted.

"I'm fine," Haniel insisted. "It's nothing. Parental situation."

"You're sure you don't want to talk about it?" Chaya questioned.

Haniel sighed. "I'll tell you if it doesn't get any better any time soon."