「Thank you, Rengoku」

"Let's give your sister a proper burial. Then we can talk." Rengoku suggests in a softer and more comforting voice you never would've guessed could come from a big man like him

I look down and nod, tears forming in the corner of my eyes. I refuse to cry again though and stop myself.

"Do you have a shovel?"

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

Rengoku and I had just finished burying my sister and paying our respects. We also cleaned up the blood inside my house, where Hana had collapsed during the demon's attack. After that, I invited Rengoku to sit and have some green tea. Rengoku took me up on that offer, as he wanted to talk to me anyway. So once the tea was made and Rengoku and I were seated, Rengoku started to talk.

"What happened?" Rengoku starts off with 

'straightforward much?' I think, slightly taken aback by his bluntness.

"Well..." I start. "Nee-san had sent me away to go collect some special plant that grew around 4 miles away. Due to all the snow, it took me all day to get to the spot where the plant grew and back. When I got back here, it was around 3:30, according to the position of the moon in the sky. Once I got to the clearing here, I found a blood trail. Luckily, my axe was nearby, so I grabbed it and ran inside to find the demon over my sister. I was filled with rage and attacked it. I chopped its head off, but it didn't die. Instead, the severed head started rolling towards the body despite there being no air flow within the house. I panicked and picked up the head, ran a distance away, and kicked the head far away." 

Rengoku seemed quite amused that I kicked his head.

I continue explaining.

"Then I had to fight the headless body that had followed me, running after its head. It definitely wasn't easy. The demon was really good at close-range combat, but I was able to cut off its arms and legs after quite a bit of struggle. I then pinned the torso to a tree with my axe. I figured that even if it did regenerate, it would still be stuck in the tree for at least a few minutes. Plus the head would take awhile to return to the body because of the snow."

Rengoku nods, intently listening to my story.

I don't stop talking.

"That's when I rushed back home to try and help Hana. There wasn't much I could do except fulfill her last request, which was to see the stars."

I pause and take a breath, not wanting to recall her death, AGAIN.

"You don't have to continue." Rengoku tells me 

I must have given him a confused expression, because Rengoku explains why.

"The demon came back intending to kill you too but was killed by the sun rising before reaching you. Am I right?" Rengoku asks

'He's good!' I think 'it must happen quite often.'

"Uh... yeah. That's correct." I confirm

"You're lucky, young sir. Had your home been somewhere else, the sun wouldn't have reached you in time." Rengoku comments

"I know... Although I would've been dead before that if it weren't for the conveniently placed axe and my weird strength." I add on

"Not only that." Rengoku sighs

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"It's true that you're a lot stronger than any man your age should be. However, that demon was super weak compared to most." Rengoku replies

"That one was super weak?!" I exclaim

Rengoku nods

"Normally, even with your strength, you wouldn't have been able to decapitate the demon with just an axe."

"Oh..." I mumble.

The conversation ends, and there is an awkward silence.

"I am truly sorry for your loss, young (Y/N). However, you are a very strong boy. So I have a suggestion for you." Rengoku suddenly says all seriously

His sudden seriousness was off-putting, but I'm obviously curious now.

"What is it that you suggest?" I ask 

Rengoku cracks a smile, the serious attitude fading away.

"I suggest you join the Demon Slayer Corps. There is a trainer on Mount Adula." He explains

"Mt. Adula? Like the one right next to here?" I ask, surprised there is one so close.

"Yep! I could request that they train you. It will be extremely excruciating work, but you'll get much stronger than you already are." Rengoku continues

'This whole thing seems very interesting... But I should probably still get more information.' I think

"I'm thinking about it." I say, "However, I have a question."

"Fair enough. What is it that you're wondering?" Rengoku asks 

"What exactly is the Demon Slayer corps? I mean... I know they kill demons, but... is there anything more to it?" I ask

Rengoku just smiles wider.

"In short, the Demon Slayer Corps is an organization that has existed since ancient times, dedicating its existence to protecting humanity from demons. There are hundreds of demon slayers within the organization, but they are not officially recognized by the government." Rengoku explains

'Amazing...' I think 'I definitely want to join them. I'll never forgive those demons for killing my entire family. They took everything from me, and they'll pay for it.' 

I clench my fist, thinking about how many other families have suffered the same fate because of those demons.

"Would you still like to join?" Rengoku asks excitedly, looking me right in the eyes.

"Yes, please," I reply, suddenly feeling slightly embarrassed by the intent staring.

"Great!" Rengoku shouts, scaring me half to death.

"I'll send the trainer a letter letting them know you're on your way." Rengoku informs me.

"Thank you so much, Rengoku-sama," I reply.

Rengoku gives me a nod, smiling the entire time.

"It should take you 3 days at most to arrive." Rengoku says, "You should rest up today and set out at dawn tomorrow."

I nod in understanding.

"I understand and I will do as you say, but where will you go, Rengoku-sama?" I ask, slightly worried.

Rengoku just laughs merrily.

"Do not worry about me, young sir. I am the Flame Pillar of the Demon Slayer Corps. I will pull through no matter the demon!" Rengoku exclaims

"I-I see! That's good!" I stutter awkwardly and am quite obviously embarrassed.

Rengoku lets out an exhausted sigh while getting up. He pats me on the head a few times before talking again.

"I will take my leave now. I thank you for the delicious tea." He tells me

"The tea was the least I could do. Again, thank you so much, Rengoku-sama. I do not doubt your strength, but I hope you stay safe on your journeys." I say

Rengoku acknowledges what I said but doesn't respond. He gives me a thankful look and heads on out.

I watch as he slowly disappears down the mountain off to do Demon Slayer stuff, I assume. It's embarrassing to admit but I was sort of sad and scared that Rengoku was leaving. However, despite my anxieties, I take a deep breath and get ready for the day.

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

I know that I said you became embarrassed quite a lot but please remember that you've never talked to anybody other than your sister. (Expect for when you were younger but you don't remember that.) Because of that you're obviously going to be very akward.

I'm pretty sure Rengoku's father is the only trainer that teaches the Breath of flame but for the sake of this fanfic somebody else teaches it, alright?