Chapter Twenty-Eight

At dawn, I awoke in Maximo's bed, lying with my head on his chest, cradled in his arm. A delightful sensation of peace overcame my limbs, and a lazy smile set in when I remembered where I was. The sublime feeling of content, being wrapped in his luxurious warm skin, was one I never wanted to end.

I stretched subtly, not wanting to give up the perfect spot but needing to move. The adjustment drew Maximo from his slumber, and he inhaled deeply. I ran my fingers lightly through his loose golden curls for a time before he moved his head to recognize the morning light creeping into his bedroom.

"We should get you back to your room before the house wakes up," he mumbled.

"Must I?" Leaving his arms was untenable, and I buried my face into his chest to escape the dim light.

"We shouldn't rush them into this," he said, pulling me closer to kiss my forehead. "Change happens slowly here, and we should ease them into it. Sempronio may not like it. Duccio may like it even less."

The idea of calling out Sempronio's disapproval struck me, and I sat up in Maximo's bed.

"Do you really believe the master would object?" I whispered.

"There is an observed order to this sort of thing among wolf packs. The alpha must approve pairings."

"You're joking," I scowled.

"Of course not. How many girls have you known who married without their father's consent?"

"But among us?" I asked, appalled by the notion. "Sempronio wouldn't care. He would strongly oppose such a custom—I know he would. Besides, we are not engaged to be married."

"You think that would make this easier for a father to embrace?" Maximo smiled, turning to stretch into his pillow. "Do us a favor, huh? Let them discover this slowly while we're on our feet. There's no point in risking their opposition unnecessarily."

With that request, Maximo rose and pulled my garments from the haphazard pile we'd built on a side chair hours earlier.

Last night had changed everything for me. It reset me in ways I believed could never be accomplished. The fear—the menacing anxiety it controlled me with—all of it was gone, ended by my wolf protector.

It was a wholly intoxicating sensation, breathing without the slightest morsel of fear. Even as Maximo helped me to dress, it wasn't fear that motivated me to return to my room, as he requested. I dressed out of simple courtesy for the sensibilities of my pack and the master.

"Go quietly," he whispered and kissed my lips.

Maximo handed over my shoes so I could walk along the marble floors in silence.

I tiptoed through the castle, determined not to draw even the rising servant's attention, and found my way back to my door in minutes. Slipping inside my room, I closed the door behind me to find Pompeia sleeping on the sofa in the drawing-room. My heart froze, and I thought I might continue past her into the bedchamber. Instead, I stopped myself and sat down beside her.

Pompeia, I whispered with my mind to draw her from her rest. It was the first time I'd realized I could see a person's dreams. They differed from waking thoughts in that they included only the imagination, devoid of normal active senses. Still, I could hear voices of conversation from her mind and the delicious smell of freshly baked bread.

I ran my fingers lightly along the side of her peaceful face until her eyes opened and focused on me.

"Were you waiting for me?" I smiled.

"Where d'you go?" Pompeia managed to ask when her voice returned to her.

"After dinner? Just outside—I went for a lengthy walk to think about my lessons."