Chapter Fifty-Nine

A week later, when the services were all done, and Maximo's remains were on their way to France to be interred on the Roussade estate grounds, I called Richards to see me in private.

I had taken over my late husband's office on the ground floor of the townhouse. It was a handsome study with dark oak shelves full of his favorite volumes and the modern Chippendale furniture he so loved.

I sat at his desk, dressed in black satin. I'd resolved to wear the color indefinitely, to let all who might notice that I was decidedly in mourning. I planned to stay this way, at least for the rest of their lives.

"Mistress?"

"Yes, please come in," I answered and rose to come around the desk.

I gestured to the room's small green damask sofa, beckoning him to sit. He only did so reluctantly at my expression of insistence and after I'd sat down first.

Henry arrived with a tray of tea and cookies, further upsetting Richards, who didn't understand my purpose at orchestrating this irregularity. After I thanked Henry and the young man left the room, I reached for the small pot and filled Richard's cup.

"Forgive me, Mistress. Is anything the matter?"

"Not at all," I smiled a quick assurance. "I only wanted us to speak in private. Do you take sugar or lemon?"

"Please," he said, taking the cup from my hands to do it himself, clearly upset that I would do such a thing for him.

"Very well then," I conceded. "Before my husband passed, he'd been working with our attornies to settle preparations for my return to Washington. Among them was the matter of your retirement."

"Mistress?" he asked with alarm.

"We'll, you're in your mid-fifties, if I may be indelicate. We wanted to prepare as far in advance as possible for the inevitability that you'd one day be unable to fulfill your present duties. After your exemplary service to this house, it was important to both of us that the matter is settled. To ease our minds and your own."

A powerful wave of grateful sorrow came from his mind.

"That was most thoughtful of you and the Baron," Richards said when he could.

"Good, then let me assure you now that we have established a pension in your name. It will continue to pay your salary from whichever date you decide to retire until your passing. Also, a sum of $25,000 has been placed in an account you will take ownership of on the same day. The lump-sum was my husband's idea. He wanted for you to be able to purchase a suitable house for your retirement and still have enough left to travel comfortably once you'd left us if you so wished."

Richards could not hide his astonishment, but nor could he find the words to respond.

"Of course, the sum will be yours to bequeath how you will, but know that the pension will continue to pay your benefactors for the remainder of their lives."

"I'm overwhelmed, Mistress," he eventually managed.

"I wonder if you wouldn't like to begin your retirement at the end of this week."

"Not at all," he said, unable to keep his heavy brow from furrowing. "Mistress, I could not betray this house by leaving with so many years of capable service ahead of me."

I set my saucer onto the tray, then reached to do the same for Richards. I took his hand in mine, a gesture he was clearly uncomfortable with, but I wanted him to understand my sincerity.

"Eight years ago, I asked you to do something for me that you didn't want to do. Do you remember? I challenged you to help me raise a fatherless ten-year-old who you didn't agree should be allowed in this house, much less be our burden."