5

Nico sat silently on his blanket and watched Golden Boy intently, who kindly didn't return his stare. He was surprised that his story had worked, but he had a sinking feeling that it wasn't a unanimous deception. Jace lounged comfortably against one of the pillars a small distance from Nico, messing with something in his hand. A ring?

"So, do you have any questions for me?" Jace asked, looking up at Nico. 

Nico adverted his eyes and shook his head quickly, still acting. 

"Ok then..." Jace frowned, "Well, how did you use that magic?"

"Instinct?" Nico offered. 

Jace seemed dissatisfied with the answer but didn't ask another question. After some moments of thought, he snapped his fingers in realization and bolted out of the room in a half-sprint. 

Nico straightened up when the blonde left, confused. Shadowhunters were strange. 

Jace returned quickly, and tossed something through the barrier, almost making Nico jump to attack. It phased through the barrier without issue and thopped to the ground. It was a book. Nico grabbed it and tried to make out the title... then glanced back up at Jace who looked proud of himself. 

"Um... I can't read English..." Nico said, careful to modify his tone. 

"Seriously..." Jace sighed, "What languages can you read?"

"... Latin?" Nico responded, and earned a confused look

"Seriously?" Jace repeated, "You can't read English, but you can read Latin?"

Nico slowly nodded. With a groan, Jace sprung to his feet, from where he had sat down again. The motion was graceful, and Nico had to remind himself that this boy was dangerous and different. He walked out of the room this time, a lot less enthusiastically. Nico flipped through the book Jace had handed him for pictures. Nico didn't want to be obvious and ask for a book in Ancient Greek, so latin was his next best bet. It was a bit harder to read through, but he would make do. 

Nico stopped on one that displayed an angel rising from a lake, a chalice, and sword in hand. He couldn't make out the description but analyzed the picture, it seemed important. In the corner, there was the image of a man, who the sword and cup were being handed to. Nico wondered who this man was and why he was significant enough to be included in the picture. 

Jace returned with another book and tossed it into Nico's area just like the first, however with much less enthusiasm. 

Nico abandoned the English book for the one in Latin. The Shadowhunters' Codex.

"That book contains the basic knowledge about the Shadow World. It should help you understand what you've gotten yourself into." Jace said with a wave of his hand. 

"Thanks," Nico responded and flipped open the book to read. 

Nico didn't acknowledge Jace anymore while he read, trying to gain as much information on his current situation and this new world that had revealed itself to him. Luckily, the lighting in the training room was bright enough for him to read by. He was tired, and his eyes were sore from staying up all day, but he needed information, he could sleep later. He could handle going without sleep for a day, or until he got the chance to sleep comfortably in his own cabin or next to Will. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clary stared up at the ceiling of her room, shifting uncomfortably under the sheets. Despite training, shopping with Simon, and even doing a quick patrol, she couldn't fall asleep. Sure, she was physically tired, but her mind wouldn't settle down enough for her to rest. She was too tired to do something but too restless to do nothing