11

A/N- 1/18/2021

Accept this chapter of reasonable length as an apology for how long this took.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nico had, admittedly, been in worse situations before, at least he woke up in a bed this time. He groaned in a combination of irritation and the dull ache of his body from the fight the night prior. Nectar could only help so much, and he really wished he had all of his stuff back. He also wanted a full night's sleep, but Nico knew that was a bit much to ask for.   

Nico received an apple from Jace when he practically slammed the doors of the infirmary open, chucked the fruit at him, told him to be in the library by 8, then left again. Nico checked the time on his phone, it was roughly 7:45 now, but it wasn't like he had to change clothes or anything, but a shower did sound nice. He pulled himself achingly out of the infirmary cot and straightened out his clothes the best he could. He fixed the chains attached to his jeans, then summoned his sword and attached it to his waist. There was no saving his hair. 

Nico crunched on the apple as he walked out of the infirmary, attempting to make his way to the library, glancing up and down the hallways as he went. He wanted to memorize the layout of the "Institute", just in case, but the angelic decor was getting very old, very quick. The place was also built like a maze, full of similar-looking doors, only a few with labels. Nico managed to find the training room again, which he supposed was useful to know, he had also found the exit, which was even better. But of course, he was spotted.

The second he entered the main entrance hall, the door opened to reveal the dark-haired girl and the boy with glasses. They each had a coffee in their hand and Isabelle carried several more in a tray. They seemed just as surprised to see him as he was to see them. 

"Good morning, Nico!" Isabella greeted sweetly, "Glad to see you here, were just about to begin in the library."

Nico paused, sure about her attitude, and whether that's just how she was, or if it was an act. Judging by the look odd Glasses gave her, it was probably an act. She waved him over, and he followed a few paces behind her. Glasses glanced back every few moments to make sure he was still following them. 

The other shadowhunters were mulling over scattered papers(Jace was actually asleep in his chair but would never have admitted it), and Nico fought the urge to fidget once more when they caught sight of him, Jace starting awake and resuming his work. Nico held his composure and made his way to the table, glancing over the papers, a gracious reminder he couldn't read. Nico wondered if there were more used coffee cups of papers on the table, it was close, but papers won. 

"Good, you're here. Now we can actually begin," Maryse said, giving him half a glance before returning to her document, marking something down on another sheet that looked vaguely like a map, "We need to know everything so we can get a better idea of how you, the murders, and Valentine's revival are connected."

Nico frowned, "Only if I get to know what pieces I'm missing too," Nico proposed. 

Maryse narrowed her eyes, a frown on her face. "I still have no intention of letting you get involved in this."

"Not your call," Nico retorted. 

"It's whoever contacted you on the phone last night's call, then?" Jace questioned. 

"Maybe," Nico growled. "Maybe it's because I have a job to do and it's none of your business Golden Boy."

"Okay!" Clary exclaimed with exasperation, slicing through the budding animosity. "How about we share first, and then you share what you know, so at least we have all the pieces in one place?" Clary proposed.