5. say thank you and move on

Calum never made it to the penalty box.

It was clear to Nova that he wasn't trying, that he was more focused on the game than his friend whom he had practically begged to come to the game with him.

Nova had her mind on the game, as well. At least, that was what she told herself as she found herself staring intently at the blonde boy that seemed to be everywhere at once; in her mind, in her dorm room hallway, at Ashton's house, behind her eyes when she tried to fall asleep, and now there he was again, right in front of her eyes, glistening with sweat and seeming to get closer and closer.

Holy shit, Nova's mind began to race, he is getting closer.

Luke angrily stormed across the ice flagged by a referee. He stepped into the penalty box without a word, without a glance in her direction, and Nova realized that she had missed at least a minute of the game because her mind was being overrun by the boy that was now right in front of her.

The announcer called out, "Number sixteen, Luke Hemmings, two minutes for tripping," and Nova swore she heard a scoff come from the box.

"Stupid fucking call," Luke grumbled, taking his helmet off and shaking out his blonde hair.

Nova gazed at the JumboTron that showed number sixteen blatantly reaching his stick across the ice as an opponent raced past him with the puck, sending his flying into the ice and sliding into the boards.

"Stupid play," Nova corrected, immediately feeling heat rush to her cheeks as she heard her own voice.

Luke turned his body on the bench and jerked his head in her direction. She could still see the cut on his eyebrow and the new scar that had formed where his lip had been busted when she had first interacted with him.

His blue eyes flashed with anger, but when they met her own, they softened immensely.

"What?" he bit out, and Nova had trouble controlling the blush that seemed to have made a permanent home on her cheeks.

"It was a bad play. You should have moved faster. Just because you're the star player doesn't mean the other team is going to hand you the puck."

For a moment, Luke seemed genuinely surprised. Then he shook his head, captivating Nova for a split second with the way the sweat on his forehead made him look even better than usual. He narrowed his eyes accusingly, "Are you trying to give me advice, right now?"

"I mean, yeah," Nova breathed out, her eyes darting to the seats around her to see if anyone was watching their conversation. No one was, thankfully, "If you're as good as the entire fucking school thinks you are, I'm not sure what the team's going to do with you stuck in the penalty box the entire game."

"Why are you even here, Novocaine?"

Nova rolled her eyes at the nickname the boy had given her, "Forget it. Forget I said anything."

It was quiet for a few seconds, and Nova turned her attention to her shoes. Luke was still sitting sideways on the bench, and she could feel his gaze set on her without looking up.

"I'm not trying to be an assho-"

"Hemmings! Get the fuck out of the box!"

Nova and Luke's heads both snapped to the ice at the same time, and they both came to the realization that he had been sitting on that bench for longer than his two minute penalty required, staring up at the dark haired girl who refused to meet his eyes again.

It was only a few seconds, but it was enough for Nova to realize that he had forgotten hockey, his livelihood, his pride, because he was too busy speaking to her.