Chapter 1

Things seemed different today.

Everyone, including my mom, who was normally always tipped off about simple things, actually seemed happy. My little brother, Noah, is always happy considering the fact that he was a toddler and my older sister, Nikki, was always stressing over college and her other adult stuff. But my mom? Happy?! Something was up.

Oh well. I just went back to texting my boyfriend, Steven. Noah banged his toys together, Nikki fretted to herself while scribbling on a paper, and my mom had dinner sizzling on the stove. The entire living room filled with noise, making it very annoying for me to concentrate on what I was doing.

Still glued to the screen of my phone, I slowly creeped up to a stance and began to make my way to my room. The shriek of my mother stopped me in my tracks, bolting my head and towards her direction in the kitchen.

"Baby! You're here!" She clapped while wiping her hands in the towel, placing it on the island, and running towards Troy at the door. She jumped into his arms and started kissing his face.

"What's the news? How did it go?"

"Oh yay! What news did Troy bring today?" I said under my voice with a bit of excitement. I was supposed to be happier, but I was more occupied with the texting.

Troy is my step dad. He's been since I was around nine. One night my real dad got into a chemical accident at his job and never returned home. A couple years later, when I was a teen, my mom decided to get at peace with my dad's death and Troy came along.

Since then we've been getting along greatly. He's there most of the time whenever I have questions and we hang out alot. When my mom would be asleep, he'd wake me up so we could cook together. Troy is really cool. I could possibly see myself calling him dad.

Troy dropped his suitcase on the floor near the door with an expression that didn't match my mom's. Sadness came over his face as he bowed his head, "I don't know, baby. I really don't know."

Mom cocked her head to the side and gave him a tighter hug. Soon they both dismissed themselves to their room. Nikki and I just gave each other a look, but then went back to what we were doing.

I went upstairs to my room and continued texting. Steven and I were planning on sneaking out to see each other again. Since we attended two totally different schools that were very far from each other, we barely got to see one another. I was really excited , though, because he said he had a surprise for me.

Steven: So we'll meet up at the old tree house, right?

Me: Yeah c:

Steven: okay. Now u remember the drill ,right? Come around the house, avoid the dogs so they won't wake up everyone else, then climb up to the house where I'll be waiting for u ;)

Me: babe... We've went through this like a million times lol ik ok? Everything will be fine.

Steven: lol oh ik babe. Just so happy to see u tonight. I don't want anything going wrong.

For a minute, I sat there wondering what he meant by that. 'I don't want anything going wrong' What? He knows I'm a pro at this by now.

Me: Awww

Steven: Ok

***

Mom called upstairs announcing that dinner was ready. I finished packing everything and getting everything ready before hurrying downstairs. By the time, I got to the dining table, everyone was already situated and waiting for me.

I sat down in front of my plate of grilled chicken, brown rice, and steamed asparagus. Mom and Troy locked eyes on me once I looked up from my plate.

'Oh no! They're on to me. I don't know how, but they might be! Oh no oh no oh no!'

I gave them both a weak smile and they both sat there with a blank expression on their faces. Eventually, Mom gave one back while Troy slowly gave a slight smirk. Nikki prayed and soon we were eating.

"So is there anything interesting that happened today?" Mom asked, forking a bite of chicken in her mouth.

"Naomi? How about you?" She asked, looking my way.

I shook my head a bit and tried to think of something good. "Well," I started, taking some time to actually think of something good that happened in my boring life. "um.. I signed up to the track team!"

"Oh is that right? I never knew that you were interested in track." My mom stated, looking interested.

"Yeah. I've just always wanted to try new things. Plus, people have always told me that I was pretty fast. Even Coach Dillon! And Kierra, Jasmine, Asheli, and Brittany are in it too." I managed to say, stuffing more asparagus in my mouth so I could avoid further conversation.

Mom just nodded her head, "Oh that's very nice, baby. I'm happy for you." She simply said. Mom geared her attention to Nikki who was pigging away at her dinner.

"How about you, baby?" She asked her. Nikki was still focusing on her food till mom called at her again.

"Hmmm?" She answered while she chewed away at a stalk of asparagus that peeked out her mouth.

Mom gave her a look that everyone knew. The look that made her eyes drop a little and her beauty show alot less.

Nikki automatically knew what it meant and slurpped up the asparagus, making Noah burst out with laughter. She wiped the sides of her mouth and rested her napkin on the table.

"Well.... Today I looked into extracurricular classes also. There's this new one for advanced math that I'm looking into." Nikki smiled greatly while nodding her head.

Mom gave Nikki her encouragements then smiled over at Troy. He traded a look with her then he started with his dinner announcement.

"You guys know that I've been working alot lately and I've got something to share. I don't know how you two are going to take it so... Be prepared." He gestured while balling a fist into his other hand.

I did as he said and soon thoughts were running through my mind.

Was Troy fired? Did he quit? What happened?!

Troy gave my mom a gigantic smile and faced back to us, "I've been promoted!" He laughed, throwing his arms into the air.

Relief ran over me as I followed along with the excitement. Now everyone was cheering and celebrating. "But you came in today looking disappointed. Ohhhhhhh! Sly fox you!" Nikki pointed then laughed.

"Haha! I was trying to surprise you guys! I'm glad that you're all happy!" Troy seemed so happy and my mom was so proud. This was really the sight to see. I loved this.

Steven came up in my thoughts. If I snuck out again to see him and she possibly caught me, I wouldn't be able to stand her disappointment in me. But then again - Steven. We haven't seen each other in months since after his parents divorced. He'll be disappointed and broken if I don't see him tonight.

A/N: So what do you guys think Naomi will end up choosing? What do you think is Steven's surprise for her?

Comment :D