Chapter 15

Austin

Brielle is leaving today. Maybe this is the kind of holiday miracle Lydia had been getting her point across about. I hadn't expected Brielle would be reasonable and book a flight home, but she did, sending me confirmation minutes after I told her she was sleeping in the guest room.

Just weeks ago, our relationship had looked different. But even the truth has shadows. And hers are all in the open. We've taken such a drastic turn that I have no stamina to deal with the drama she's unloaded on my doorstep. That stunt she pulled at the press conference? When I had asked her to stay out of the way? I shouldn't have been surprised-That's my fault. It's on me.

I pass by the staircase, glancing up. I only allowed her to stay because the hotels in downtown were booked. If she wasn't pregnant, I would have left her sitting at the table with the microphone and reporters to keep her company. Repeatedly, I check the weather on my phone. The waiting game begins of 'Will her flight get cancelled?' I can't stand the thought if she's here longer than necessary and mid-afternoon can't come fast enough.

This thing with Lydia is far from over. That's what kept me half-awake last night, thinking about how I can fix this. How I can make this Christmas special for her. If I can do that, I can finish what we began. I might even have a piece of holiday back. Everything else around here is the same. She's the difference. I am not going to let that go and let another day be wasted on account of Brielle. With the bag of pastries in hand that I had picked up last night at Flour & Sugar, I head to the front door intending to grab my fleece and go.

"Austin?" Brielle's voice carries, sending shivers down my back.

She appears, calmly watching me from the top of the stairs. A thin bathrobe hangs open over her silk pajamas with a deep V hinting at her generous assets. The baby bump, no longer hidden with the thin fabric. She walks down the stairs purposefully, letting me take a long look. "Do you want to feel the baby?"

"No thanks." I zip up my fleece and grab my keys off the table. "I have somewhere to be."

"Where are you going with those?" she protests, folding her arms over her chest. Suspicion fills her gaze. "Is this a press thing? Kayla said the press loved seeing us together last night. There were rumors Hartley was in the town square during the lighting. Did you see him?"

"No," I lie. I thought I had seen him with Lydia, but that's not possible. How would they even know each other? Unless he was hitting on her. Definitely wouldn't put that past him anymore.

She swallows hard and flicks her gaze at the keys in my hand. "What do you want me to say, Austin? What do you want me to do? I'm scared that I keep making this worse."

"You can make things worse or stop whatever game you're playing. The truth? I need someone strong. Someone more comfortable at home, protecting our privacy. Someone who prefers the background." My gaze darts to the Christmas tree. Someone who is there for me for the highs and lows, and the middle ground. "Someone who puts me first, not invitations or dinners or the press. Last night? I asked you to stay here, you said no. You came with me to the press conference. I asked you to wait in the suite the hotel manager arranged for you to wait. All you did was put yourself first."

Her jaw slowly descends. "You're reading way too much into this!"

"I don't think I am." I shake my head and turn up my hands. "I need someone-who can be strong enough to have her own life. Not ride my caddy every time she feels neglected."

Tears crop up in her eyes. "That's just mean."

"No," I say with complete, freeing peace. "I'm just done. And I have somewhere to be."