3| Prince not so charming

Sunlight streams through the patio doors, drenching the kitchen in a pale yellow haze. The mornings are starting to blur together, which means soon, I'll be heading off to college on the mainland.

It was Dad's idea–he thinks I need to get a degree and see the world outside of this island. Then, if I still want to live here, I can always come back. But I don't want to go to college. I don't want to leave. I want to stay right here.

A slight breeze sends the patio wind chimes ringing. This is the house Dad grew up in, although it's changed considerably since then. Dad said the moment Mom moved in, she changed the place from an old-fashioned hovel to a modern, breezy home.

Everything is open plan, with floor-to-ceiling windows that flood the house with natural light. That was always Mom's thing, natural light. Sunshine. Warmth. It's why when I think of her, I imagine a beacon of light.

My sister, Lexi, is busy flipping pancakes. There's only a five-year age gap between us, but sometimes she acts so maturely that it might as well be ten. "How are you feeling this morning?" she asks. "Have you spoken to Ryan since...well, you know?"

I pour myself some juice and say, "No, I haven't. He's made his choice."

She sighs and hands me a plate of pancakes, which I drown in syrup. "Don't take it personally, Evvy. Boys are stupid at that age." She says that age like she's ancient, or something. "I'm sure he'll come to his senses soon."

"I don't want him to come to his senses," I say. "He doesn't get to pick and choose when he wants to be with me."

Dad chooses that moment to hobble into the kitchen. I say hobble, because ever since a surfing accident four years ago, he's needed to use a walking stick. He refused at first, on the basis that he thought it made him look 'uncool', but Lexi ordered him one of those quirky sticks with an eagle head, so now he loves it.

Lexi pours him a cup of coffee, black, and he smiles before kissing her forehead. He takes a seat opposite, unfolding his paper before flashing me a smile. "We were wondering when you'd be getting up, Ev."

I pull a face. "It's summer. I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn anymore."

Dad grins and sips his coffee. "Enjoy while it lasts, kiddo. You'll be starting college soon."

That's the problem, I think. I don't want to move to the mainland to start college; I want to enjoy this forever.

Lexi takes a seat opposite. It feels like it's been forever since I've seen her, because it has. She's just finished college and moved back to the island–the first time she's been back in months.

She looks different, somehow. People used to mistake us for twins when we were younger, mostly because we shared the same dark hair and hazel eyes. But now she's started straightening her curls, and her eyes lean more toward green, like Dad's.

Dad and Lexi start talking about catering, so I tune out. Opposite, Mom's space at the table seems emptier than usual, if that's even possible. I can't help but stare at her chair as I eat.

I finish my breakfast and wave goodbye before pulling my bike from the garage. It's only a short ride from my house to the harbor, but it's always busy at this time. I have to navigate around several wandering tourists or risk mowing them over.

When I get there, I lock my bike to a street lamp outside and pull off my helmet, looking up at the cafe. It's starting to look worn compared to the other shops on this street. The shutters are cracked, the pastel blue paint beginning to peel around the windows. Beneath them, the Frangipani flowers have wilted. Jordan's arrival couldn't have come sooner.

Inside, the cafe is busier than usual. It's the height of summer, so the rich yacht owners have taken a break from their boats to grab some conch fritters. I slip on my apron and get to work clearing plates.

It's easy to lose myself in the routine of it all, the monotony. I'm not in the cafe anymore, I'm swimming on my back in the middle of the ocean, staring at a cloudless sky. I'm riding my bike through streets lined with pastel-colored shops, the sun blazing down on me. I'm not alone in these dreams, either; Mom is with me.

Always.

Behind me, the door swings open. I turn just as Ryan walks in and scans the cafe, looking for someone in particular. When his eyes find mine, he smiles and takes one of the booths near the window. Lina signals from across the cafe, her way of asking whether she should take the table. I shake my head and square my shoulders, walking toward him.

"Welcome to the Big Fish Cafe," I say, getting out my notepad. "What can I get you?"

Ryan looks up at me with those baby blue eyes. It was only last week that I was staring straight into them, listening to him talk about how much he adores me. Funny how quickly things change. "C'mon, Ev. Are you really going to pretend like you don't know me?"

"Yes," I say. "Don't call me Ev."

He sighs and goes to reach for my arm, but I shake him away. "Look," he says. "I didn't say we had to break up, just that we could go on a break."

I lower my notepad to glare at him. "Sounds like semantics to me." 

He frowns like I'm being difficult. "I don't want to leave things like this. I want us to be friends." 

"I've already reached my friend quota for the year, sorry." 

"C'mon, Evvy." He sighs and gives me this look that makes my heart hurt. "I still want you in my life. I feel lost without you." 

"I'll buy you a map." 

The door swings open again. I look up to see Jordan walk in, this time wearing a pale gray t-shirt that matches his eyes and again, jeans. He stops for a second like he's looking for someone, his eyes finding mine.

I smile and turn back to Ryan. "Look, I have other customers, so can you just order?"

"I didn't come here to order," Ryan says, sounding a little hurt. "I came here to talk to you. You can't seriously be mad at me for wanting to get off this island. I'm sorry I'm not you, Evvy. I can't stay here forever."

My patience runs thin. "Now you want to talk? What about all the times you ignored my calls and texts? What about when you sat me down, in this very cafe, and you said, I'm going on a road trip in two weeks, and I think we should take a break?"

My voice must be raised because Jordan comes over and touches my arm, his eyebrows furrowed in concern. "This guy bothering you, Evvy?"

Ryan looks at Jordan, horrified, and possibly also a little jealous. "I'm not bothering her. I'm her boyfriend."

"Ex," I remind him.

Jordan shrugs, his gray eyes cool. "Boyfriend or not, seems to me like she doesn't want to talk to you."

Ryan gets to his feet, which only makes Jordan look more of a giant. "Listen, I don't know who the hell you are," he says, "or how you know Evvy, but you need to mind your own damn business."

Jordan steps forward now, towering over Ryan. "Or what?"

I look between the pair of them. I don't know Jordan – or what he's capable of – but from the look on his face, he is not someone you want to mess with.

Ryan must realize this, too, because he hesitates. He looks at me and back at Jordan, his blue eyes narrowing. "You know what? This isn't even worth it." He pushes past me and storms outside, where his friends trail after him.

A/N

Hey guys! Remember to leave a comment or emoji if you enjoyed this chapter! 💕