16| Pact with the devil

Dad spends all morning telling us he can't believe he gave the Devil a ride. Lexi chuckles through a mouthful of bacon, but I'm barely even listening. All I can think about is how soft Jordan's lips had felt pressed against mine.

I've had plenty of kisses before–Ryan and I used to kiss all the time before he dumped me–but never have I been kissed like that; I hate myself for wanting to do it again.

The weather is better this morning, the sun winking down from a cloudless blue sky. Since I don't have a job anymore, I don't have to go into the Big Fish Cafe. I tell myself this is a good thing. Not going in means I don't have to spend the morning awkwardly avoiding Jordan–I can focus on forgetting that kiss ever happened.

After breakfast, Lexi convinces me to let her drive me to the mainland. I don't want to go, it's only going to remind me that I'm leaving soon, but at least it's a distraction. I slide into the passenger seat, turning on the radio. Lexi swats my hand away, turns to some pop song, and then reverses out of the drive.

We spend the drive singing at the top of our lungs. I like to think I can hold a note or two, but Lexi's completely tone-deaf. At one point, at a stoplight, the man in the car next to us rolls down his window and kindly tells us to stop. Lexi goes red and rolls up the window. I spend the rest of the drive cackling at her expense.

The moment we reach the mainland, I remember why I hate it. It's nice with its three-lane roads and big brand stores, but it doesn't have the character of New Wave, or that community feeling; it feels vast and lifeless.

Lexi drags me into store after store to look at furniture for my dorm room. I nod and feign interest every time she picks up bedsheets or shows me a lampshade, all the while wishing I'd stayed home.

After a little while, she must notice my lack of enthusiasm, because she drags us into the ice cream shop and buys us some Sundaes before leading me down to the harbor. We sit on the bench in silence for a while, just staring at the water.

"You know, you're the only person I know who isn't excited by the propsect of college," she says finally, licking her ice cream. She doesn't mean it harshly, but her words make me feel like a freak.

"I am excited," I say, but I don't sound very convincing.

Lexi sighs as she licks at her ice cream. "I know why you don't want to leave," she says. "This island reminds you of mom, and you're scared to leave dad all by himself. I had the same worries as you, Evvy, but you've got to let go and live your life at some point. You can't keep worrying about everyone else." She takes a deep breath and adds, "That's why I'm leaving."

"You're leaving?" My voice sounds so small as I say it. I've always known that Lexi wouldn't stick around long, but I still hoped she would, anyway. 

She nods but doesn't look at me. "I'm moving here with my friend from college. She's got an apartment not far from here and said I could live with her while I look for a Graduate job."

I'm silent for a moment while I process this news. Too much is changing, too fast; I feel like I can't keep up.

"We'll still see each other all the time," Lexi assures me, "especially now that I'll only be around the corner. I promise."

I nod and finish the rest of my ice cream, even though I'm no longer hungry. Around me, seagulls peck at the bits of food the tourists drop them. Not only is it bad for a seagull's health to eat bread and fries and whatever they're thrown, but feeding them makes them aggressive. When one of them eyes the last of my cone, I glare at it until it retreats.

"So, any idea what's going on with that Jordan kid?" Lexi asks.

My head snaps up. Has word got out about our kiss? "Why are you asking me? How would I know?"

She gives me a funny look and says, "Because you worked at the cafe. I figured you'd know if he's found a buyer yet."

I relax a little in my seat. "Oh, no, he hasn't. I managed to scare the last buyer away with your Henry idea."

She grins and shakes her head. "Don't go around saying it was my idea, I'm supposed to be the sensible one."

It's true. Whenever anyone thinks of Evelyn and Lexi James, they think: Lexi is the mature one. Lexi is the bright one. Lexi is going places–I am almost an afterthought.

"It won't be long before he finds someone else," I say, biting my nail. "He's not giving up."

Lexi thinks for a moment. "Have you tried–and hear me out here, Evvy–being nice?"

I narrow my eyes. "Are you saying I'm not usually nice?"

She laughs and says, "No, that's not what I'm saying at all, but you're very stubborn and strong-willed sometimes. What if, instead of sabotaging him, you get to know him? Maybe then he'll be more likely to listen."

I hate to admit it, but this is a brilliant idea. Clearly, sabotaging Jordan outwardly is just pissing him off, but what if I can bait him into caring about the island? Maybe then he won't be so quick to harm it.

"Lexi, you are a genius," I say. "I'll pretend I want to take him on a tour of the island as a way to apologize. Hopefully, the more he sees, the more he'll start to care about this place and he won't want to sell."

"Uh," Lexi says, "that's not quite what I want," but I've already stopped listening.

The whole ride home, I think of what to say to Jordan. I hate the thought of him thinking I'm being nice because we kissed last night, but I also know that if I want him to listen, I'm going to need to play nice.

We get home around six, and I change into a little yellow dress before cycling to the cafe. When it comes into view, I slow down a little, praying this isn't about to backfire.

Jordan comes out just as I'm in the middle of locking up my bike. He first meets my eyes, then takes in my little yellow dress. It's fitted but not tight, with a little slit that runs up the thigh. He focuses on this slit before his eyes flit back up.

There's this moment where all I can think about is how good he tasted, and from the way his eyes slowly travel to my lips, he's thinking the same. Suddenly, I'm hot all over. It's like someone has cranked up the heat by several degrees, and now my skin is burning.

"What are you doing here?" he asks.

When I don't – can't – respond, he raises an eyebrow and takes a step closer. I can tell from his tone that he's suspicious of me. He thinks I'm here to sabotage him. Or kiss him. And by the look on his face, he can't tell which is worse.

"Relax," I say, "I come in peace. Kind of."

"Is this a trick?"

"No. Look, what are you doing tomorrow?"

He couldn't look more surprised if he tried. "Nothing," he says, still cautious. "Why?"

I look at my hands, which are clenched around my bike handles. "Do you want to explore the island with me?"

When he doesn't respond, I'm forced to look up. It's not his eyes I look at, though, it's his lips. I'm remembering the way he kissed me with them, the way his tongue pushed and tangled with my own.

"My eyes are up here, Evvy."

My eyes dart up, quick as a flash. "Well?"

He folds his arms and looks straight at me. "I've seen this island."

"Not properly you haven't." Clearly, he's not going to make this easy on me. How are you supposed to hook a fish that won't take the bait? "Look, I get that we're not fond of each other, but this is my way of apologizing, okay?"

Jordan runs a hand down his jaw before forcing himself to look at me. "All right," he says, "but no more games, Evvy."

"Fine," I say, because little does he know, this is my biggest game of all. "Do you want to meet me here at nine?"

He nods and turns, starting his walk down the street.

I pray to God this works.

A/N

Hey guys, sorry for the slow update, but I hope you enjoy! ❤️