Chapter 17

Niall's POV

It's been a week. Harry is still not awake and I'm getting more and more worried. The doctors said the longer he's asleep, the less chance there is he'll make it. I've been in the hospital all day and night. Dr. Monroe has told me repeatedly to go home, but I can't. I don't want to miss him waking up.

"Niall. You need to go home. You've barely showered and eaten. You're starting to smell." Cody tells me from the seat next to me. 

"I can't. He can't wake up without me being beside him." I sigh. 

"You need to go home and sleep. Zayn, Liam, Louis, Liv, and I are all here. You got the whole crew here with him. I promise we'll call you if anything happens." Cody says. I don't want to leave, but I do need to shower. It's been a while. Plus, I need to grab more clothes, so I can stay here longer. I get up from my seat and lean over Harry. I gently caress his cheek and a small tear slips out of my eye. 

"I'm so scared Cody." I break. "What if he never wakes up? What am I supposed to do? That's not something I could ever get over." I say honestly.

"He's not going to die Niall."

"You don't know that." I snap. "Sorry, I didn't mean to get mad. I just don't know what's going to happen." I lean down and kiss Harry's cheek. "I love you." I whisper into his ear, even though I know he won't be able to hear me. 

"Head home and you can come back in a few hours. I'll update you if anything changes." Cody puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Okay, okay, I'll go." I walk out of the room, but take one last look at Harry. 

"Niall, go." Cody says sternly. I quickly nod and leave the room. 

Maybe I should go back in. He could wake up, and I can't miss it. No, I need to go home. 

After a lot of deliberation, I go home and immediately collapse onto my bed. I didn't realize how much I missed it, until I had it back. I sleep for about four hours and then quickly hop into the shower. Since it's on my way to the hospital, I decide to stop at, Moon, wanting to grab some food. 

I walk into the building and want to slap myself. Why did I completely forget Shawn works here? It's been so long since I've quit, I haven't even thought about this place. I go to the counter and see Shawn with a small smile. 

"Hey, how are you?" He asks me. I return the smile, though a little fake.

"I've been better." I reply honestly.

"How's Harry?" Shawn asks politely. 

"No new progress. Still in a small coma. I don't know how much more I can take, to be honest." Shawn rests his chin on his palm. I mimic his actions.

"Are you going to leave him?" I look at Shawn like he's insane.

"Why the fuck would I do that?" Shawn shrugs.

"I just thought that's what you meant." I shake my head.

"A lot has been going on lately, and I feel like I'm breaking, but I have to be strong for everyone, you know." I sigh. 

"You don't have to be strong for me. If you need to let it all out, do it." I give a grateful smile.

"Do you mind coming to the hospital after your shift? I really need to go back, but I could use company and I feel bad making Cody stay there constantly." I laugh. I've tried to make Cody leave, but he said he didn't want me to be alone. He's a stubborn one. 

"What would you like?" Server Shawn says.

"My usual and a bagel." Shawn nods and starts to put together my order.