And so it starts...

Dear Journal,

        Today is Tuesday, December 19th, 1775. My mother and father have gifted me this journal. I have no use for it though. Why would I want to write all day for no one to read it? Maybe I can just have it around for decoration? I just hope my younger brother won't steal this journal from me.

        Anyways, my name is Aloisia Madeleine Washington Faivre. I was born on October 8th, 1756, and I'm 19 years old. I have a younger brother named Nathaniel Malcolm "Nate" Washington Faivre he turned 13 on the 19th of November. If you are wondering, my mother is the Washington of the family. She's refused to talk about it her entire life. My father's name is Richard Oliver Faivre and he's a well respected and wealthy man here in England. 

       Since I am from a wealthy family many people want me to marry early in life. So far I've had at least 4 courtships with different men. I had no love for any of them. One was named John Salisbury. He was a cruel man if I do say so myself. Salisbury would try to rush me to marry him because of my family's wealth. My father had to force Salisbury to end the courtship. I was so relieved because my mother and I never really liked him.

        Moving on from that horrid subject. Recently lady Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz has passed away leaving King George III a widower. I have met the King multiple because of my father. Overall I don't think the King is the best man. I don't agree with how he treats the colonies and all the taxes. But amidst lady Charlotte's death, my father received several letters from the King yet only shared them with my mother. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if my father was called to go to the colonies to fight for England.

        Well, now that I've spoken about everything happening in my life and about myself I should go. I don't expect to write in this journal much though. So goodbye journal.

Sincerely, Aloisia Faivre

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Just as I finished writing in my new journal my handmaiden Lucianne had knocked on my door. "Aloisia, dear, dinner is finished for your family." Lucianne has spoken through the door. "Alright Luci, tell father and mother I'll be down in a few minutes." I had stated as I stood from my desk and flattened down my dress. I then heard her walk away from my bedroom door. After that, I looked at the beautiful journal cover. I decided to read over my writing and sighed wondering if I'd ever write in the journal again. Once I finished reading I decided it was time to finally go down for dinner.

As I walked down the stairs my brother ran past me "Move idiot!" Nate yelled in my direction almost making me fall down the stairs. Once I had arrived in the dining room I noticed my mother and father looking serious and quite nervous. "Mother? Father? What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" I was quick to ask them as a servant pulled a seat out for me at the table. "My dear Aloisia Madeleine..." My mother began "We know you've seen the letters your father has received from the King." I nod slowly, "Yes mother, I've noticed the letters. What about them?" This time my father responded, "Sit down and we'll explain sweetheart."

And to that, I sat down across from them getting more and more nervous about those letters. "We've... You've been invited to the palace of King George," father started "The king wants to court you Aloisia." mother ended his sentence. The servant that had poured my drink quickly excused himself without finishing. I chuckled at what they said, assuming it was a silly joke. "I'm sorry to laugh but I cannot believe that mother." Without noticing Nate had walked up behind my seat "Well it's true Lo." I quickly turned to face him "By God Nate! Don't sneak up on me like that!" I yelled at him. By the time I turned back around mother was sliding the stack of letters towards me. I picked one up and read it and quickly realized they weren't joking. "I don't believe it. Why would he want to court me? I'm a simple girl." "With lots of wealth," father added. I nodded "But what about Mr. Shawls? Aren't I supposed to court his son soon?" I was quick to ask. Mr. Shawls son was a close friend of Nathaniel. Nate shook his head quickly "And thank our lord for that! I'd hate you if you married William!!" "Well, I never liked him anyway! Plus you already hate me!!" I yelled back. "Nathaniel Malcolm!! Aloisia Madeleine!!! We do NOT say that in this household! That is the devil's word!!" my mother continued to yell at us.

"Madame Jane. Please do clam down, everything will be fine, I'm positive they did not mean what they said to each other." A handmaiden named Clara said to my mother. "Yes, Clara you're probably right... Now, Aloisia, we will be leaving for the King's palace on Thursday next at daybreak. That should give you at least a day and a half to pack everything." I nod, standing up taking a small sip of the wine, "Well I shall retire for the night then, Lucianne please come." "Aren't you going to eat mistress?" Lucianne asked slightly nervous. I shake my head "No, I'm not entirely hungry." I then started walking away, ignoring my father ordering me to sit back down and eat. 

Once I reached my room with Lucianne she helped me undress and prepare for bed. "Luci, can I ask you something?" I sat up slightly to look at her. Lucianne nodded "Of course Miss, what is it?" "What do you think would've happened if I had married Will?" "Well, I believe you might be happier than married to the King. Sir William is a kind man and very caring to both you and your brother." Luci stated as if she could see the future is I married Will. "Yes, I suppose so. Lucianne... Another question, if you were to run from the crown..." I sigh softly, "If you were to run from the crown how would you do it? Where would you go?" Lucianne looked at me quickly and nervously "Mistress, I don't think I should-" "Answer the question, Lucianne Jones!" She looks at me in fright but nods. "I would slip away in the night right after gaining the trust of the King. Then I'd run to the colonies as a soldier. And once I get to the colonies change my name and never look back. But I'd only go to the colonies because I have no family other than your family." I notice her staring into the fire longingly. "Luci, I apologize for raising my voice at you... If I am to run would you help me...?" I ask one more question. She looks up at me and shakes her head "No, you have a family that loves you here. I'd never dream of separating that. But if they die then yes. I don't entirely trust the King." To that, I turn on my side "Thank you, Luci. You are dismissed." I then hear a shuffling of feet and my door close.

Slowly I drift off to sleep praying I don't have to leave my baby brother behind. Yet I knew if I had to, for my safety, he'd understand.

(1262 words)