Chapter Twenty Two

Parul was in her room, making her bed for the night. Dinner had just gotten over at the Rajvansh Villa, and after everyone had gone to their rooms, she had instructed Jugnu to clean up before retiring for the night as well.

As she spread fresh, crisp linens on her bed, she contemplated everything that had happened at dinner. As always, Bapuji had been cracking jokes, getting everyone to laugh. Ketu was regaling everyone with stories about what Atul was upto as Nidhi listened with a proud smile. But, Ben Baa's eyes had been continuously stuck on Abir as he ate his dinner quietly, not participating in the discussion. He seemed to be in deep thought, as if he was physically there but mentally in some other world.

That was now a regular occurrence for them, and so no one else thought twice about it. But Parul, who knew the entire truth, wanted nothing more than to go to him and speak with him, ask him to tell her what was troubling him so much. Earlier, she would have done exactly that, but since the fateful day, almost 3 months ago, when Abir had broken up with Mishti, she knew she'd lost all rights to do that.

So, she was surprised to see her door so late at night. "Masi, aap free hain?" He asked.

In the months since he'd broken up with Mishti, this was the first time that Abir was voluntarily talking to her. Their interaction since the day had been limited to Abir giving one word answers to anything she asked him and nothing beyond that. It hurt her because before everything, Abir and her had shared a beautiful relationship, almost akin to a mother and son. When he called her Masi, he meant it. It wasn't just a moniker he addressed her with because his mother told him to. He called her Masi from his heart, because for him, that's who she was.

Parul had without a doubt gotten the most affection from Abir. He'd always had an abundance of hugs for her. He'd appreciate every little thing she did for him. He even reprimanded Kunal when he got rude with her. The love Abir had showered on her, in little and big ways, could not be replicated by anyone else, not even her own son. Yet, when it was time to choose between Abir's happiness and her son's, the mother in Parul hadn't been able to stop from doing the right thing. She'd chosen her son, with no regard for how leaving Mishti would break Abir.

In the months that followed, she'd become a silent spectator to Abir's heartbreak. She'd seen him struggle every single day, and had chosen to stay quiet because staying quiet meant her son would have what he wanted. The guilt threatened to swallow her whole, but Parul stood her ground, and watched the son of her heart crumble each day, only to keep the son of her blood happy.

With everything, she couldn't deny Abir his anger at her silence, yet it hurt to not be on the receiving end of his affection anymore. The hugs were gone, so was the mindless chatter, as was any appreciation. Mishti took with her, the Abir Parul had always known and loved. Parul lived for any crumbs of affection Abir deemed to throw her way, and having him come up to her of his own volition to speak to her was the most affectionate thing he had done for her in 3 months. She wanted to run to him and give him a hug, but controlled herself, knowing it wouldn't be appreciated anymore.

So, she settled for, "Haan, Abir. Bolo? Kya baat hai?"

She could hear the eagerness in her own voice, but who could blame her? It had been so long since she'd spoken to him. And, he'd sought her out today. Maybe, things were looking up. Finally.

"Nanko ke baare mein aapse kuch baat karni thi," Abir told her hesitatingly.

It had taken a while, but Abir had finally come to the conclusion that Mishti was right and that Kunal should know the truth about his parents. He deserved to know more than anyone else did, and none of them had the right to play God with his life, deciding whether or not he should know such important details about his own lineage.