6 ~stranger danger~

It's four in the morning, and the airport is alive since it's midday somewhere in the world

It's four in the morning, and the airport is alive since it's midday somewhere in the world. I'm sporting one of Ram's hoodies, the grey material infused with the daily lush mint spray he uses. I had also borrowed a pair of shoes and a copy of The Kite Runner.

"You're sure you want to do this, right?" Ram signs as we walk further in.

"I guess," tucking my passport and printed visa into the hoodie's pockets, I reply.

When I pull him into a side hug, the bulk of my bags hinders our embrace. The tension in his shoulders slacken, and he hugs me tighter. It might sound bizarre, but his uncertainty gives me the decisiveness I needed.

I see Chitt. He's at the entrance with his secret girlfriend—Kajal—tagging along. I pull back from Ram. He follows my trenchant stare and sighs as he sees my brother.

"I told him when to come," Ram says, gaining my attention by smacking my back.

"And why did you do that," I move my fingers, but my face stays vacant.

"He just wants to say goodbye."

I tip my head at Chitt's red and yellow outfit. He's still looking for us. "He looks like the clown from MacDonalds."

Ram's eyebrows draw close, "Don't be a dick." He pulls his phone out and texts Chitt while waving his other hand in the air. Chitt's gaze lands on us, and he sprints over, not at all concerned when his girlfriend gets washed behind by the drone of rolling suitcases and footfalls, beeping of security machines, and the announcements of flight information.

"Hey," Chitt starts, giving Ram a grateful smile, and I roll my eyes.

"Hey," I mutter.

"So you're really leaving?" he asks. His raven locks are disheveled, his dark eyes accusing.

"No, we hang out at the airport all the time."

"No—yeah no, I asked because I thought—" he wipes the sheen of sweat on his forehead. "Isn't it better to stay at Ram's place and ride this out? Amma will come around eventually."

"Ram's a friend, not my legal guardian."

"The way he takes care of you, he might as well be your brother."

I run a hand through my hair, glancing at my friend who's giving me the look. What? I ask by raising my eyebrow. He crosses his arms and waits.

"Well... take care, I guess," I say to Chitt, finding him fiddling with the colorful, sacred strings circling his wrist.

"Is Ram coming with you?"

"He says he'll join me later on," I shrug, glancing at said person a second time. A pleased smile plays on his lips. "You should get going. Your girlfriend looks a little lost," I smirk.