Chapter 5: Raise Your Hands

We're in a sticky situation - it's down to me and you
So tell me - is it true
They say there ain't nobody better
Well now that we're together
Show me what you can do
You're under the gun
Out on the run
Going to set the night on fire

...

He opened his mouth to say something, but a loud thud resonated above your heads. You drew a breath and whispered: "You locked the front door after us, did you?"

His wide eyes and absence of answer answered your question in a way, and in two seconds, you jumped off the table and switched off the light. You grabbed his hand and silently climbed the stairs.

Once on the ground floor, you spotted light into a room further down the corridor and managed to get out without being noticed. To be sure, you ran a bit into the city in silence, till Jon said: "Certainly a janitor or something."

You caught back your breath.

"Yeah, certainly."

You drew a deep breath: "Jeez, I cannot run two minutes without breathing like my old aunt Mary." You put your hand in front of your mouth and breathed. "I even smell like my old aunt Mary. Well, more like the closet where she keeps her alcohol..."

Jon shrugged: "If it's the old aunt Mary Richie talked about, I pray for you."

You laughed and let yourself fall on a stone bench, Jon sitting next to you.

People were passing, chatting and laughing, sometimes a little too loud to be in their normal state.

Jon broke the silence: "I wonder if the others are still alive out there."

You turned your face and planted your eyes in his: "To be honest I'm not really thinking about the others right now."

He said, in a voice a little higher: "Oh yeah?"

You puffed: "I'm having fun tonight. I hesitated to come with you because I thought you would do your thing together and I would be left aside."

You nudged at him.

"Thank you."

You could tell he was shyly touched, but he quickly went back to himself: "And the craziness is not done!"

You cocked an eyebrow: "Ow, and what do you have in mind, Mister Bon Jovi?"

The silence you assumed had fallen because he was thinking became thick. You only noticed now your faces were really close, for the second time of the night. Your eyes studied his face, and you forced yourself to not spend too much time on his lips. When you looked back at his eyes, you noticed his pupils were dilated, his irises only two blue circles, but enough for you to get drown in them for you don't know how much time. A signboard enlightening you suddenly changed colours and a purple light enveloped both of you.

He turned his face as his attention got dragged by it, but you didn't move.

He turned back to you and whispered: "You know, I would marry you if you asked."

The information took some seconds to reach for your foggy brain, and you blinked: "W-what?"

"He said he would marry you if you asked."

Both of you jumped; Jon stumbled and fell off the bench, catching himself back with his elbow to not crash on the ground and you turned all at once to see where the voice came from.

Next to you was sitting a man who wasn't there five minutes ago, legs crossed, smoking a cigarette and looking at both of you alternatively. You recognized he was dressed as Elvis Presley. He even had the wig, and red aviator sunglasses that made an awful result next to the purple hem of the pants and sleeves of his costume – and you wondered what he was able to see in the dim light of the night.