2

I lead this boy to the closest clothing store and we walked inside to buy a package of undies. Without checking my surroundings, I bluntly asked him what his size was, and an old man on the other side of the row made a choking noise.

I looked up, startled. "Ah. Mianheyo, Ahjussi," I said and bowed.

"Is he your brother?"

"Yeh?," I looked at Jung, who patiently waited at the end of the tie string like a trained animal. He still wouldn't show his face and it was a little creepy.

"Yeh, Ahjussi," I lied.

Hey, if I could hide him under the guise of being related to me, until he got his shit together, then it'd be easier than saying, 'Ah. No. I found him on the side of a road on my way home from work earlier today. He's a stray.'

Being my brother is much prettier to hear.

The old man nodded and walked away after picking up a case of cheap bow ties and I dropped the tie string.

"Jung, we gotta get you to show yourself. You're just weird looking. Pick out you're undies and let's pay for them. Then we'll go to my friend's house," I said as I pulled out my cellphone and dialed her number.

~

My friend answered on the third ring.

 "Yeobseo?"

"Yeh, Chingu. Are you at home right now?"

 "Yeah? Why?"

"I need an emergency haircut..."

~ 15 minutes later, Lacy and I were staring at Jung who was sitting in a chair in the middle of Lacy's tiny kitchen. Jung had my jacket off, but his hair in his face again.

I tapped my chin.

"Who is this again?" Lacy asked a little concerned.

"All we know so far, is his last name is Jung. He doesn't talk much at all."

"Where'd you find this kid? The side of the road?"

"Well, actually..." I said and looked at her.

Lacy made a loud fake laugh noise, but when I didn't laugh with her, she straightened up and sighed.

"Okay. I don't wanna know. But did you check to see if he's a missing person? Maybe he's a detention center escapee? Or a murderer?"

I nonchalantly lifted Jung's left hand by his wrist and looked at his palm and knuckles.

"Mmmm...I don't think he's a farmer. The calluses on his hands could be from climbing trees or whatever, for shelter. He has no fresh cuts on his hands so maybe he lived in the park for a while."

"You found him in the park!?" Lacy stared at me, completely in disbelief.

" Just shush and cut his hair," I said dropping Jung's wrist.

Lacy went to the counter where she had a purple spray bottle and some scissors and a comb. Coming back, she sprayed me in the face.

"That's what you get for picking up strangers and-" before Lacy could finish her sentence, Jung stood up and grabbed her wrist before putting himself between me and her.

"Whoa. Wait. Stop. Sit down," I said stepping around him quickly and pulling their hands apart. Lacy stepped back into the kitchen, scared and rubbing her wrist.

"Jung. Sit down. She's my friend," I said, not raising my voice but speaking with an obviously annoyed tone.

"He's freaking weird, Yessi. I'll cut his hair, but you should take him to the police."