[16] who lives, who dies

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter sixteen!
WHO LIVES, WHO DIES
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( currents )

( currents )

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

IF THERE'S ONE thing that's weirdest about this entire situation, it's going to school with Cora again. Both of them had been ten years old when the Hale house fire occurred. While Vera, Dom, Laura, and Derek had all been at school on that fateful day in January 2005, Cora had stayed home for an unknown reason. Vera can't get it out of her even today. She supposes the memories are too much for her sister to bear, so she doesn't push, instead warily checking in on her during the day and making sure she doesn't decide to punch anyone in the throat.

By lunchtime, Vera is thoroughly impressed that Cora has managed to keep calm. Vera hands her a packed lunch once her sister sits down at the table that Scott, Stiles, Isaac, Boyd, Lydia, Allison, and Dominic all share with her in the cafeteria. Since their school's lunches are abysmal, Vera had cooked the night before and packed the homemade food into containers for both her and Cora to eat. She figured it would help ease Cora back into the stress of attending an American school.

"Moro de Habichuelas," Vera explains as Cora eagerly opens the lunch bag. "Rice and beans. Not as good as Mai makes, but I think I'm getting better."

A small smile works its way onto Cora's face. "Where is she?"

Vera's cheerfulness dims. "I'm not sure. She doesn't usually tell me."

She used to be angry at her mother for this. How was she supposed to feel safe at home if she didn't know where her mom was? But now, she's almost grateful for her own ignorance. If someone like Deucalion tried to interrogate her about Ana's whereabouts, they would be shit out of luck.

Vera hasn't told her mother what's going on in Beacon Hills. Ana has no idea that the man who killed her husband is back in town, they'd thought Derek was dead for almost two days, Cora is alive, or that Erica was murdered. She's oblivious to the human sacrifices raging through the city and the people who are going missing left and right. Vera supposes it's her way of protecting her mother. As their only source of income now — aside from what Vera makes from dog walking — she has to work extremely hard. It would be better for her to think that everything is fine.

Speaking of human sacrifices...

"How's Danny?" Vera asks Scott.

"Stable for now," he replies vaguely, brown eyes out of focus. "Doctor Hilyard is still missing, though."

His eyebrows are pinched with worry, mouth pulled into a frown that carves harsh lines into his tanned skin. Last night, Ethan had carried Danny into Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital, where he'd not only stopped breathing, but had also thrown up mistletoe — a poisonous plant to both humans and the supernatural. It can't possibly be a coincidence; he had to have been a target.