{Chapter One ~ Her Shadow}

"Ah, my little Attheia"

Athanasia cradled the child in her arms, her breaths shallow as she strained to hold the tiny bundle. She knew she was dying – it was obvious. Her weak state would not last for long.

"Your Majesty, please, let me take the Princess" the wet nurse begged, tears pricking her pale green eyes. Though her grief was not only out of worry for the dying Empress; she also feared what would happen to her own life if the all loved Athanasia De Alger Obelia died in her care.

The blonde royal ignored her though as she stared at her lovable daughter. Her vision was beginning to go fuzzy, and her breaths were running short.

"My dear Attheia" she murmured, her eyelids fluttering as she strained to stay awake. "Please, take care of your father for me."

The little baby, who did not know what was going on, could only coo at her mother as she felt her arms go slack. She would have rolled out of the loose grip if the wet nurse hadn't grabbed the baby, setting the little princess in the cradle next to the dead Empress.

"Your Majesty" the woman sobbed, falling onto her knees. Her tears dripped to the floor, falling for the empress, and her life that would soon be ruthlessly ended.

Just please spare my family, Your Majesties.

Even from several kingdoms away, one could hear the furious, heartbroken roar.

.

.

.

"Auntie! Auntie Lilly!" a small girl just three years old ran over to the brunette, grasping at her skirts in excitement. "Can Attie have some chocolate? Pwe~ase??"

Lillian blinked down at the little girl in surprise, and for a moment, she could have sworn she'd seen a bubbly five year old, with golden hair and bright jeweled eyes. But, after blinking again, she could see it was just the small raven haired princess, Attheia.

Feeling a pang in her chest, the brown haired nanny reached into her pockets and took out a small bag of chocolates, bending down to give them to her. "Alright, but eat them slowly, okay? This is all you will get today."

"Thanks Auntie!" Attie beamed, standing up on her tiptoes to kiss the woman on the cheek. Once again, Lillian could have sworn she'd seen a different, lighter haired princess standing before her.

Oh, Athanasia. You left behind such a replica of yourself.

"Geez mom, at this rate you're going to spoil her." Lillian looked up to see a young girl with slightly curly red hair and bright blue eyes. Elaine Robane, Daughter of Lillian and Felix Robane.

"Nonsense" Lily said at the same time Attheia said "Attie's not spoiled!" causing the red head to laugh.

"Sure sure" ruffling the princess's curls, Elaine sighed.

"No news from your father?"

"Nope."

Lillian echoed her daughter's sigh. "His Majesty sure is stubborn."

"He's more than stubborn! He's plain foolish!" Elaine huffed. "It's been 3 years since the Empress kicked the bucket, and both those royal bastards are still sulking about it! Don't they realize they have a perfectly good and alive princess right here??"

Lillian flinched. "Elaine, don't talk like that" she scolded. "What if someone heard you?"

"So what?" the red head threw her hands up into the air, her eyebrows knitted in anger. "I have half the mind to tell this to their face!"