{Chapter Three ~ He's Sick}

Claude de Alger Obelia is sick.

Not the type of sick like a cold or flu, but the kind where he imagined things. Things that weren't real.

Things like Athanasia being alive.

It all started on the day she died. He was enjoying his retirement in his summer palace, the breeze light and airy as it blew in, the curtains whispering as they brushed against the cracked open doors.

His Majesty was sipping wine in the lounge, admiring the view when the door slammed open and a messenger came rushing in.

Claude glanced at the man in annoyance, a frown forming on his face.

"What's the meaning of this?" he reached towards his sword, his threat clear, but the messenger's words brought him to a pause.

"It's the Empress! She has passed away!" immediately, the messenger dropped to the floor, bowing. "I apologize for the intrusion, but I assumed you would want to hear this urgent news right away!"

Claude examined the man, his grip on his sword tightening. "Impossible" he muttered. "That's impossible!" there was no way his daughter could be dead. She had Lucas, who cared for her almost as much as he did. He wouldn't let her die.

He just wouldn't.

"How dare you lie to me" menacing aura radiated off the retired ruler, his sword raised to strike. The messenger stared up at the glinting blade fearfully, visibly trembling from his spot on the floor.

"It isn't a lie, your majesty! I swear o-"

Swish

His voice was cut off as Claude beheaded him, his silver blade now stained with blood. At that moment, Felix walked in, having heard the commotion from outside.

"Your Majesty, what-" he faltered when he saw the dead body.

"Hurry and pack your bags Felix" Claude sheathed his sword, not even bothering to wipe it clean. "We are going to visit my daughter."

She was alive, he knew it.

She couldn't be dead. He would go and interrupt his vacation to see her, to prove that she was still breathing. Maybe his grandchild would even be born when he arrived.

Everything would be fine.

Just fine.

The carriage pulled up to the palace, the golden decorations glinting brightly in the sunlight. Maids were lined up in front of the castle, and Claude could see that nothing had changed. Everything was magnificent as before; truthfully, he had been expecting Lucas to burn it all down long ago.

But there was also something different. Not a change of the scenery, or the palace, not even the staff. It was almost as if...

The energy was off.

"Your Majesty"

Claude recognized the brown haired maid named Lillian, the same woman who raised Athanasia, bow before him. There was a redness to her eyes, her face swollen, and Claude briefly wondered what could cause her such distress. He glanced over at Felix, and noticed the man had a worried look on his face.

Ah, right, he was married to this woman, wasn't he?

"Take me to my daughter" turning back to the maid, Claude stood impatiently. He wasn't sure why she hadn't ran outside be now, to give him one of her famous hugs and beam up at him while saying "daddy, you're back!" He already found himself missing her voice, and wanted to see her right away.