Part Two

We started at the lake, stopping right in front of the docks. Mom droning on about the rules and what we had, stopping lastly on how drowning was the main cause of death. I was completely uninterested until a certain voice chimed in. 

"What's second?" He challenged, eyeing my mother. 

She didn't say anything as she scolded him with her eyes. 

"People." I teased back with a smirk. His lips twisted up as he raised his eyebrows to me, looking back at his friends. 

I didn't see the way Mom scoffed as she walked away, but it was only a matter of time until she realized I had the hots for the new counselor. 

We all made our way down the path and over to the Dining Hall. Bertie was unloading food and supplies out of the back of a truck. 

"And this is Chef Bertie, a Camp Redwood veteran." Mom said proudly. 

Bertie smiled as she took the cigarette from her lips. 

Xavier casually leaned against the truck. "Dibs," he joked motioning to her and looking over at Ray as he laughed. 

Bertie looked over at him laughing slightly, "You wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it, handsome." 

Ray, Chet and I started laughing as Xavier was completely taken aback. The shock written on his chiseled features. 

"Put those scrawny arms to work and help the lady fill her pantry." She shoved a box into his arms. He took it without a word. "All of you, grab a crate." She rested on the back of the truck and finished her cigarette as we all went to work helping unload the back of the truck. 

Ray was still laughing to himself, Xavier bumped him with his crate. "It's not that funny." He sneered. 

"Actually it was," I interjected, walking past both of the boys and putting the crate down, bending flirtatiously. "It's what you get for calling dibs on the wrong girl." I winked and brushed my hands off while I walked back out to grab another. 

Both boys almost dropped their crates along with their jaws. Xavier's mind was racing but he wasn't quick enough to come up with something else to say. 

"Chef Bertie worked here when I was a counselor," My mother said as she stood and supervised us, of course not lifting a finger. "We are so blessed to have her with us." 

"I have many good memories of this place," Bertie chimed in, "It's magic up here in the fresh air." She took another hit, "I'm sorry that one bad apple ruined it for everyone." 

Everyone stopped and gathered around once again. They clearly tensed up at the slight mention of what happened here. 

"The minute I heard Margaret was reopening this place, I was first to volunteer." She raised her hand lightly, then looked over at me, "Well second." 

I rolled my eyes, "Hey I had too, what kind of daughter would I be if I didn't." I shrugged. 

"A pretty shitty one," Xavier joked behind me, "But lucky me you aren't." 

I turned around quickly almost nose to nose with him, smiling. "You aren't lucky yet." I gently pushed his sunglasses back up his nose with my finger. 

"Okay!" My Mom clapped, "Let's continue our tour." 

I smiled at him once again before following her over to the showers. 

"Girls shower in the a.m.,boys in the p.m. Same goes for counselors too." She didn't look back as she walked through and waited for us outside. 

Xavier turned over to me feigning a fake look of disappointment,"Guess I won't be able to help you rinse and repeat babe."