𝑓𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛.

chapter fifteen. . .the truth

act one. . .heartache, love, and loss

heartache, love, and loss

°➶☽∘ ✥ ∘☾➴° 

𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐄 tries to convince Maggie she is a virgin - and fails to do so - Lizzie continues to endure a painful labor. Her screams echo through the corridors as midwives rush about to try and stop the blood that leaves the queen and makes her weaker by the moment.

She gives birth to a baby boy. At first he does not cry and a delusional Lizzie starts to panic. The child is brought over to Lady Margaret and laid down on a table. As Lizzie lays back down, she turns to Alexandra, "Is he alright? Go see if he is alright?"

Her dutiful daughter nods her head swiftly, moving from her mother's bedside to where Lady Margaret is standing. She looks over the child who is still and her hands start to shake, "Is he alright, Lady Grandmother?"

"He's not breathing," Lady Margaret whispers back as she keeps her face straight.

"Can I see him?" Alexandra responds shakily as she holds out her hands. Lady Margaret is hesitant, but hands the newborn boy to his sister. She takes him in her hands, ignoring the blood covering the small child.

She stains her dress as she holds the young child to her chest and whispers sweet things to the babe, holding him close.

When she sees it doesn't work and the babe has yet to breath, she places the child in one hand, his chest facing her palm and without hesitation, she hits him on the back. Not with too much force, just enough to get him breathing.

Mucus comes from his little lungs.

It is silent for a moment, before the baby starts to wail, loud and bright. Lizzie lets out a laugh as the whole room looks at Alexandra in shock.

"Please, get me a blanket," the princess asks as she holds the bare baby to her. One of the midwives does as she says, giving the girl a blanket, which Alexandra wraps the babe in, shushing him as she moves towards her mother.

"I want to hold him," Lizzie is able to manage as the blood loss makes her dizzy. Alexandra nods, handing the baby to his mother. Meg, Lizzie, and Alexandra cry for a moment as they look at the baby boy.

After some time, Lady Margaret takes the baby from her and Alexandra goes to get up from her mother's bedside to take care of the child when Lizzie grabs her arms.

"When you leave, go into your room. . .at the bottom of your draw there is a letter," Lizzie says as she takes deep breaths of air, "Read it."

"I will, Mother," Alexandra replies, pressing a kiss to her mother's sweaty forehead.

"I will be with Arthur before night falls," Lizzie cries, her breathing starting to slow. Her eyes look to her husband with sadness.

"No, Mother," Alexandra and Meg say at the same time, holding back their tears.

"I will reunite with Arthur," Lizzie smiles as best she can, "And see my brothers."

"Don't talk like this, Lizzie," Henry replies, hushing her.

"Tell Maggie. . .Tell her I'm sorry," Lizzie says as she grips her husband's arm.

"No, no, I am the king and I command it," Henry says firmly, planting a kiss on Lizzie's head, "You will be well and live a long and happy life with me, Lizzie."

Lizzie wails out in pain.

"Meg, go fetch your brother and sister," Henry says, looking over at his oldest daughter. He looks over at Alexandra, "You too. Go."

They nod, running out of the room, running down the corridors, screaming Harry's names. 

The midwives pull a blanket over Lizzie's lower half, which is covered in blood along with the sheets. Henry soothes her as she gasps and moans in pain.

Harry, Alexandra, Mary, and Meg run down the corridor towards their mother's room.

By the time they reach the room, it is too late. Lizzie is gone.

The four children fall to their knees as they weep for their mother, who lays still on the bed, one hand still clutching Henry's.

°➶☽∘ ✥ ∘☾➴°

Alexandra finds a letter in her bottom draw. It is written in Italian, the language Lizzie and Alexandra learned together in her youth.

My Dearest Daughter, My Alexandra,

This letter is in Italian for a reason: I want no one else to be able to understand it. The truth I am about to tell you, it cannot be uttered to anyone.

If you are reading this, I am gone, passed on to the next life. I want you to know, despite what this letter reads, you will always be my daughter.

No one but yourself and your father, Henry knows of this truth I am about to tell you and no one else can know.

My darling child, you are not my daughter. Not by blood. You will always be my daughter at heart, but not by blood. Henry is not your father either.

I know you must be wondering who your parents are and I will tell you, I will not keep it from you. Your father was Edward, Earl of Warwick or as you know him, Teddy. He fathered you while he was in the tower.

He fell in love with one of my sisters, Anne of York, who returned the affection. Henry allowed them to be together, but only for short times, even when Anne was married it was kept a secret.

When Anne fell pregnant, we kept it a secret. Henry was worried it was going to be a boy, but waited until the child was born and until he found out.

At the same time as Anne fell pregnant, so did I. If the child was a girl, which you are, the plan was I would claim I had twins, a boy, Harry, and you, a girl. No one was allowed in my birthing chambers during Harry's birth save a few trusted midwives.

It was a relief when you were born a girl. Teddy was so excited to be a parent, even if it couldn't be known.

After Anne fell pregnant, and gave birth to you, she was no longer allowed to see Teddy. It broke both their hearts, but they had to move on.

That is why you were always so close to Teddy, he is your father.

Now I ask you one thing, don't go searching for your mother, your blood mother, it will be catastrophic.

I hope you can forgive me for keeping this from you.

Sincerely,

Your Mother, Lizzie

● ✥ ●