𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦-𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡.

chapter twenty-eight. . .suffering

act two. . .the future of england

the future of england

°➶☽∘ ✥ ∘☾➴°

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐓 commences, the throne is filled with chatter and the sound of forks and knives hitting their plates. The royal families sit at the head of the room, conversing amongst themselves and looking out at the nobles of the English court.

"The circumstances are unfortunate but we are glad to offer you our hospitality," Henry says, looking towards Joanna and Philip, "In any case, your grief and your trying journey have not dulled your beauty."

Joanna gives him an odd look, making the tension at the table thicken a bit. To ease it, Lady Margaret adds, "When we have supped, we will confer on trade and matters of the state."

"Joanna, tell me of your children," Catherine says, looking at her sister, "Your new baby is a boy."

"The baby stayed behind at home with our children and a nursemaid," Joanna says, eyeing Philip, who flirts with the servant girl, serving them wine. She suddenly turns to Alexandra, a smile making its way to her face as she says, "Alexandra, let us dance. When you came to Spain that one time, we danced. I remember how tiny you were."

"Your mother has just died," Lady Margaret says in an incredulous tone.

"Then we will dance to celebrate her life and triumphs," Joanna replies lazily glancing at the woman.

"Oh, yes, I would love to see you dance," Henry agrees with a weird smile. Joanna stands up, grabbing Alexandra's hand as she requests Spanish music.

"Get my father out of here before we all throw our guts up on the table," Harry says, when his father agrees with the queen and ignores Lady Margaret's objections, "The Spanish queen is someone else's wife, Father. You must learn to find your own."

"So you would shame your own king, would you now?" Henry says, leaning over the table and looking his son in the eye. He doesn't respond as Joanna starts to clap her hands, getting a tempo for the music to start.

With that, Joanna and Alexandra start to dance along to the Spanish tune. It was the same one they danced to when Alexandra came to visit Spain years ago. It was when Queen Elizabeth and King Henry VII of England first proposed an alliance with Spain.

When they had journeyed there, they brought their second daughter along. She was already fluent in Spanish at the time and was a great help to them with translation.

When Joanna sees that Philip is not paying attention to her, she throws wine in his face, storming out of the room in a fit of rage.

Alexandra goes to run after her, but Henry gives her a look, telling her to stop. The princess reluctantly nods in understanding as Lady Margaret says, "Good Christians, let's go to mass."

The room empties out as all the nobles head to mass.

°➶☽∘ ✥ ∘☾➴°

It was later that night that Catherine went to visit her older sister, who left the court, choosing to stay outside on one of the castle tower roofs instead.

"You didn't come to mass," Catherine observes as she stands behind her sister who looks out the window of the castle, "I hoped to find some comfort with you."

"There is nobody to pray to, or else He isn't listening," Joanna says, turning to look at her sister.

"Joanna. . .I know we haven't seen each other for many - " Catherine starts to say.

"Tell me, did you love your husband?" Joanna wonders, cutting Catherine off.

"Arthur," Catherine utters, "I tried to. I feel ashamed but. . .I think I don't remember anymore. I loved his kindness, what he could have been. Joanna, there is something I want to ask - "

"In Flanders, in his father's court, Philip took his seventh lover of our marriage, closest lady of my chamber," Joanna says, "He said I imagined it so I cut off all her hair. He raged. He wouldn't speak to me. . .so I had my ladies put love potions in his wine, because my heart was in a noose. But he caught them. He dismissed them and he locked me in my room. I couldn't even send letters or receive letters from my only friend, Princess Alexandra Tudor. Now he is writing to our father, saying he will rule instead of me. He means to have coins minted with his own face next to mine, to try to be the king himself, and now our father does the same and also tries to steal my kingdom."

"But you are the queen," Catherine objects, "Our mother's crown passed on to you. They have no right."

"All they see is power that they want and they will take," Joanna explains, "I'm just a chicken bone they squabble over. . .not a wife. Not a daughter. Never marry Catherine, men are pigs and marriage is a trap. You're lucky you're free."

It is at that moment, Philip walks up to Joanna, anger showing on his face as he speaks to her in French, "Do you see my clothes?"

When she doesn't respond, he shoves her slightly, saying her name sternly.

"Your sister is. . .delirious," Philip says, turning to Catherine, "I cannot even see a woman before she's so certain I'm making love with her. You see what I must live with."

"I see my sister is unhappy, and I also see the cause of it," Catherine says, looking Philip in the eye.

The King Consort chuckles, "Petite sœur (little sister), Catherine, wife of no one."

He glares at her before pulling Joanna along, muttering to her.

°➶☽∘ ✥ ∘☾➴°

Catherine arrives back in her rooms later that night. She just misses Rosa, who hurries off to meet the father of her baby, a married man named Lord Stafford. She thinks he will help her, but who knows what will happen.

She walks into the room to see Lina making the bed. The young woman's attention goes to the princess when she hears the door close.

"I had my chance to ask her for the dowry, but I didn't grasp it," Catherine admits, "She is too tormented. I do not see my future anymore. . .how can I ever be a wife to Harry."

● ✥ ●