04

KANG TAEHYUN

"TAEHYUN!!!!!"

I closed my eyes in annoyance. There he is again.

"What do you need, Kai?"

He pouted. "I just want to hang out with my only friend."

Huening Kai or Kai, as I call him, is a first year like me. He's my polar opposite when it comes to social skills. I'm trying my best to be invisible, but Kai is just too chaotic not to be noticed.

"Isn't it the other way around? You're my only friend."

"You literally have some friends in the team," he retorted.

"I don't—" Then I remembered Beomgyu hyung, Soobin hyung and all the other players. "Oh, right."

It is currently Friday, which is the day I've been waiting for. Since the week started, the volleyball team has been training every morning and after classes. It's tiring, but I'm having fun. The Inter-high is near and Soobin hyung told us that it's his goal to bring the team to Nationals. We're all hyped up to reach that goal.

Even though there is already a decided starting lineup, the coach told everyone to practice well since he might be giving everyone chance to play in official games.

As of now, Kai and I are in our classroom. Our Geometry teacher is absent and he didn't give any activities so it became an easy free period for one and a half hour.

"Hey, Tae, do you think I can still join the team?"

My eyes widened. "You play volleyball?"

Kai scratched his head. "I just started playing on my 9th grade. I don't have much experience."

"You know the basics, right? You'll be fine!"

"Thanks, Taehyun."

"Why are you planning to join the team this late?"

"I... I may or may not have forgotten to pass my application form."

"Please tell me you're joking."

I looked at Kai and he just smiled innocently. I hit the back of his head and he winced in pain. "Ouch! Your hand felt heavy on my head!"

"Huh?"

"Your hand is too small, but it hits painfully. What are you? A spiker?!"

I smiled and shook my head. "No, I'm a libero."

"That was a rhetorical question, Taehyun."

"I know, Kai."

~~~

When we were dismissed from our last class, I brought Kai with me to the practice. I'm sure that Soobin hyung will consider Kai and our coach is pretty chill.

"Hello, Taehyun. I see you brought a friend," Renjun hyung greeted. "Is he going to watch our practice?"

"Actually, he wants to join the team."

Renjun hyung looked surprised, but he immediately gave a warm smile. "I see. Let me get Soobin for you."

He walked away and went to Soobin hyung. The captain approached us with his remarkable smile.