06

SHIN RYUJIN

I went straight to the rooftop after the teacher dismissed us for lunch. I'm not even hungry so I didn't bother glancing at the cafeteria. I brought a basketball with me so I can practice a bit.

I've been practicing my dribbling and spins a lot these past few days. Basketball is a sport that mostly depends on those skills. I'm the top scorer, the ace as they say, and I wanted to do something for the team.

I know that a few members of the club, including Lia unnie (she told me to call her that), didn't like me that much. Yes, I know that I'm a brat, someone uncooperative in their eyes. I'm that type of power forward who will actually go forward with power, which means I will go all the way the court on my own.

This is why I don't usually pass the ball to others. I want to do something for the team without asking for help. They call me the ace and I want them to depend on me, not the other way around.

"So you're here."

The ball slipped from my hand when I heard a familiar voice.

Chaeryeong.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I saw you sprinting like you're being chased by a dinosaur after our teacher dismissed us. I thought you were hungry and just went straight to the cafeteria, but I figured that you would be here," she explained.

Chaeryeong gave me two sandwiches. I almost refused, but she gave me that look so I just accepted the food.

"You're not overworking yourself, are you?"

I sighed. "I have to do this, okay? There were multiple times that I didn't attend training and I want to make up for that by practicing on my own."

"You know that's not what I'm talking about, Ryujin."

"I have no choice, you know? I have to work and study at the same time."

No one was supposed to know that. She found out about a week ago. Chaeryeong was just in the wrong place at a wrong time.

*flashback*

"Thank you, sir! Have a good day!" I told the customer who just finished paying.

I work in a convenience store away from school as a part-time job. The new manager is kind enough to let me work after training, unlike the previous one who wanted me to work right after my classes and in the morning.

The only person I live with is my younger brother who is in 9th grade (third year in middle school). Our parents just left us one day without any note or something like that. So here I am, working my ass off to keep ourselves living.

I am lucky enough to enter Hanlim with a sports scholarship and my brother enters a public school so we have minimal needs in money in terms of education.

When I noticed the door open, I stood up to greet the customer. My mind went blank when I saw who is that person.

Lee Chaeryeong.

Crap.

"Ryujin?"

"H-hello, Chaeryeong."

She excused herself to get the things she wanted to buy before coming to counter.

"I didn't know you work here," she said as I scan the ice cream she chose.