☾Chapter 1☽

Chapter 1- Just a Dream

Present Day

Darkness.

It enveloped me in a suffocating blanket. I ran blindly through the forest, deftly avoiding trees that appeared from nowhere. The forest was becoming denser thus my speed was slowing. I could hear the heavy footfall of my pursuer so I knew they weren't far behind. I couldn't run forever and I would have to eventually face whoever was chasing after me. I didn't have strength on my side, so I would have to use the element of surprise. I grabbed a thick branch protruding from a tree and swung myself onto it. My arms grazed against soft feather like leaves. I don't remember leaves ever being that soft. Before I could ponder the softness of the leaves, I heard the footsteps of my pursuer. It's now or never. I leapt off the branch and tackled my pursuer to the ground.

"What the..." I'd know that American drawl anywhere. I was paralyzed by the sheer shock of hearing that voice that I didn't realize he had flipped me over and now lay on top of me. He flashed his pearly whites as a wolfish grin spread across his face.

"Nathan? What the hell are you doing here?" I spat angrily. 4 years away from the fool had not lessened my dislike for him at all. Oblivious to the bitter note in my voice, he continued smiling. He hadn't changed at all.

That's a lie.

He's grown taller and, dare I say hotter? His dark, brown hair was still in the mussed up style that he probably rolled out of bed with and favoured so much but his once, aristocrat nose now had a small ridge at the top. No doubt the result of a brutal fight he had obviously won. All the childlike innocence that once sparkled in his ash grey eyes was replaced with mischief and something else I couldn't quite put my finger on.

"Such a gracious host Issy..."

"It's Princess Isabelle to you," he shook his head in disbelief. The motion drew my eyes to his neck where a single scar, from his collarbone to ear lay. Where did he get that from?

"I see you're still as prim and proper as ever, Issy,"

"I see you're still as annoying and rude, Nathaniel," instead of irritating him with the use of his full name, his smile just grew bigger.

"Well as much as I'd love to catch up, I have things to do and places to go. I wonder; how do I wake up?"

"What?" this boy has officially gone crazy.

"Boy? This is all man," he gestured towards his chest and a blush stole over my cheeks. I can't believe he heard what I said, and what's worse is that I couldn't take my eyes of his chest. When did he grow up? "I feel so violated," he snapped his fingers drawing my eyes up to his smiling face. "You know my eyes are up here,"

"Yes I am aware of where your eyes are Nathaniel; I just try to avoid looking at such a despicable..." I paused trying to think of a word that would offend him.

"I'm waiting Princess," he sat there smugly, waiting keenly for my attack. It never came. I shoved him off of me, and, surprisingly he fell. But he recovered quickly, and that ever present smirk took residence once again in his face. I pushed myself off the ground, which was covered in snow.

Wait, snow? I looked down again, and sure enough, it was there. Running it through my fingers, I realised it wasn't cold. Surprisingly, it was warm and soft. For some unknown reason, I was in my Iron Man jammies and barefoot. I stood, turning and taking into view my surroundings. Without my awareness of it happening, the prior darkness had evaporated leaving the skies barren of both darkness and sunlight. All that remained was a clear grey sky. It looked as if we were in a forest, but the usual symphony of forests was absent. The trees stood tall, probably over 40 feet, and were covered in white leaves. I looked up to Nathaniel who was looking at me intently. He stood there barefoot in only pyjama bottoms waiting for me to voice my thoughts.