Chapter Two

Tawnypelt stood up, stretching her legs. The sun was warm on her back, filtering in between the branches of the pine trees that towered above her head. Tawnypelt felt warm and content, safely on her own territory, padding through the forest.

She was alone, as she liked it. Being by herself, at peace with her own thoughts, was when she felt happiest. Her mate and kits, now apprentices, were fine and all, but every cat needed their space.

A light breeze ruffled Tawnypelt's fur, and birds chirped cheerfully in the trees, reflecting Tawnypelt's own mood.

It's lovely, Tawnypelt thought to herself, pausing to take it all in. She let out a content sigh.

A pounding noise of paws on dirt alerted Tawnypelt to another creature's presence. She dropped into a hunter's crouch, spreading her weight evenly as she had always been taught, and sniffing the air. The breeze blew her scent straight towards the other animal, and whatever it was was stupid enough to head straight towards a predator.

A black blur darted out from a bush, and without pausing to think, Tawnypelt sprang, knocking the thing off its feet.

It was a ThunderClan warrior, eyes wide and panting, gazing up at her with green eyes filled with confusion and a bit of fear.

"What're you doing on ShadowClan territory? Did you chase a rabbit over the border or something?" Tawnypelt sighed. "ThunderClan. So stupid."

The cat's eyes narrowed, and she slipped out from beneath Tawnypelt with ease.

"This is important!" The cat, Hollyleaf, hissed.

"Right. Definitely. Are you sure this isn't just ThunderClan getting in everyone's business again?"

"Two cats were murdered! If that's not important, then I don't know what is!"

"What do you mean, murdered? Just out of the blue, dead? How could something like that happen without anyone knowing?"

"I don't know, but it happened, and everyone's scared!"

"Alright, I'll take you to see Blackstar."

"Actually, Firestar and Onestar made the decision to call an emergency gathering to sort things out. Tonight. We can't have a killer running around, can we? This is really important. Please tell Blackstar, right away!"

Hollyleaf took off running again, nimbly darting around the trees.

"Where are you going? On ShadowClan territory!"

"I'm in a bit of a hurry!" Hollyleaf called back, "And I have to get to RiverClan!"

Tawnypelt glanced at the black shape slowly shrinking into the distance, then back in the direction of camp. Her heart was beating fast, and worry gnawed at her and twisted her stomach into knots.

Quickly, Tawnypelt leaped to her feet, moving swiftly back to camp. "Blackstar!" she yowled, springing towards his den.

The cats in camp all looked up towards Tawnypelt lazily, seemingly both curious and confused.

"Hold on, what's happening?" Russetfur asked, stepping in front of Tawnypelt.

"Something bad happened, and I need to talk to Blackstar."

"What kind of bad? Border skirmish? Twolegs? Flooding?"

"No, worse," Tawnypelt said.

"Worse?"

"Just let me pass, please?"

Russetfur stepped aside, following Tawnypelt into the den.

Russetfur looked at Tawnypelt curiously, and Blackstar lifted his head from the vole he was eating to listen to her.

"Hollyleaf came onto our territory today. She reported two murders."

"Murders?" Blackstar asked.

"Who died? When? Where?" Russetfur questioned.

"I'm not sure. Hollyleaf was in quite a hurry, but since it's the afternoon now, I'd guess the bodies were found some time this morning."

"What should we do about it?" Russetfur asked, looking to Blackstar expectantly.

"Actually, an emergency gathering was called by Firestar and Onestar, tonight," Tawnypelt added.

"I suppose we'll go there, but seeing as all members of the clan are accounted for, we should have no cause for concern. Russetfur, go out and make sure that every cat's location is known."

"Yes, Blackstar," Russetfur meowed, scurrying away.

Blackstar briefly nodded his approval, and then turned to Tawnypelt. "Did Hollyleaf say anything else?"

"I don't think so. She was in a bit of a hurry because she had to talk to RiverClan. She seemed a bit nervous?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, she seemed scared and antsy to keep moving, but that can be explained by the fact that there's a murderer around, so it's probably nothing."

Blackstar looked at Tawnypelt closely for a moment, then meowed, "You're dismissed."

Tawnypelt padded out of the den, looking around nervously. Was everyone in her clan safe? Would she be the next victim? Or Rowanclaw? Or her kits? Was anyone safe from this mystery murderer?

Tawnypelt tried to settle down, to reassure herself that her kits were with their mentors and every cat in the clan was able-bodied and prepared to fight, but even that couldn't keep her nerves from floating up and filling her with worries.

What was happening? And who would be next?

Author's Note: This takes place during Sunrise, and all cats used are referencing the Sunrise allegiances using the Warriors Wiki and my copy of the book.