38.

All rights reserved...@brightlights101

November 26, 2017

You know what Jackson, surprises aren't all that bad. But I suggest you get used to it because I come with a lot of surprises and like you always said, I was stuck with you. So here I am with gorilla glue, you ready?

By the time the sun rose that Sunday morning, Daisy woke up to the sound of Seb's meows. He was pleading to be let out to take a quick wazz. She shrugs on a coat and puts on slippers, walking outback with Seb. She takes a seat on the steps of the back porch and takes in her surroundings. This was it, the day she goes back home and leaves this fantasy.

The screen door squeaks behind her. Daisy expects it to be Jackson, but instead it was Caroline. She handed Daisy a cup of hot chocolate.

"Seb taking his daily dumper?"

Daisy nods.

"Will you come back and visit?"

"Of course," Daisy hums.

They sit in comfortable silence. The sun slowly rising and the sound of Caroline's wind chimes play off in the nearby distance.

"Daisy, can I say something?"

"Sure." Her hands wrap tightly around her brewing cup. The sensation always recognizable and comforting.

"You don't have a family do you?" The question was blunt and out of nowhere. Her body stills and her breathing stops.

"What-um, makes you-uh"

"What makes me think that?" She asks. "Well, the topic of your family always stiffens you. And you always become nervous and fidgety and you also stumble over your words. Just like now. And when my family tries to probe you, you shut down. And I know it's none of my business, but I can't help but think there is more to you than you let on."

Daisy remains silent. When she takes in an uneasy breath, she looks at Caroline with red eyes. And that was all Caroline needed to know before she wrapped Daisy in her arms.

"It's okay, Daisy. Your secret is safe with me."

Someone knew. Someone finally knew.

After a good minute of being held in motherly arms, Caroline confesses something to Daisy that no one knows about.

"There's something I haven't told my family about Devin."

"Continue." Daisy encourages, placing a hand on Caroline's own hand.

Caroline sucks in an uneasy breath. "About three months ago, Devin suffered from a stroke." The confession lifted a small weight off her chest. Finally being able to tell someone was a relief in itself.

"He was in the hospital for a month. He was on oxygen and had no mobility in his left side. He's been through two months of gruesome physical therapy. He still has a tremble in his hand but his speech has improved and the droop in his face is transparent. But it has been the hardest three months of our lives."

"Caroline, I'm so sorry this happened."

"He doesn't drink like he used to. Once he found out he had flatlined once, it was like he came back as a changed man. He'll have a beer here and there, but not every thirty minutes like he used to. And when he got his strength back, he promised me he'd start looking for work. And now look, he got a job working on houses. A construction job. And I am so proud of him."

"That's good."

"And now he's trying to make amends with his kids and I can only hope that they will take their father back as the new man he is. I know no amount of apologizing will erase what happened in the past but they can't hold it against him forever. It's what Devin does today and from now that will hold him accountable. Because what if something like that happens again and the boys never make up and Devin dies. I can't let Devin's last moments be the memory of his boys hating him."