Chapter 3

I woke up the next morning staring up at the stars. My head pounded and I could hardly get myself to sit up. Right then I didn’t remember drinking that much alcohol last night, but I guess I had because I had a terrible hangover. As I started to get up I noticed that it wasn’t the stars I was looking at but the roof of the limo; and the limo was moving. I pushed myself up into a sitting position and looked around, I was in the same suit as last night and there was an empty bottle of beer on the chair right across from mine.The light from outside was so bright it burned my eyes and soon I was aware of the time of  day.

“Sir, we are here.” My driver said to me, he stood at the door with a hand offered to me to help me get out of the car. I took it and heaved my way up. I could smell the nicely cut grass and see the bright yellow light of a summer’s day. “Would you like my sunglasses, sir?”

“Yes, thank you.” I took his sunglasses and finally tried to push myself awake. “Where are we?”

“The country club sir, your father wanted me to bring you here this morning after his morning golf session.”  

“Ok… but Nigel, what happened last night?”

“Oh sir, well-” Nigel was cut off by my father who stood in the doorway of the country club mansion, his usual cigar in hand was replaced by a golf club. His Ralph Lauren sweater vest and fancy Italian leather shoes made him look powerful, almost similar to a king standing next to his throne, welcoming an unwanted visitar.

“James! You have arrived.” A big scary smile loomed over his face, this wasn’t unusual.

“Oh, Father I was unaware of our meeting today but I am here now.” I started to walk up the grand entrance stairs, my eyes still hadn’t adjusted to the light so I walked slowly and very cautiously so that I wouldn’t trip and embarrass myself.

“Well at least you are here now, just in time for lunch.” He put his big heavy arm around me, like fathers did with their proud sons, this was unexpected.

⇌⇌⇌

We sat across from each other in a small table looking over the golf course, this was ‘my father’s table’ he liked to claim it as his own because ‘no one else could sit here’. I guess no one ever did because most people were scared of my father, they didn’t want to get in his way.

“For now just a cup of coffee.” I told the waiter as I handed him my menu. My father still had his resting on his plate, he scanned the page rapidly and soon came to a decision.  

“I would like some wine, not the cheap stuff. And also a nice juicy sirloin steak.” He handed the waiter the menu, not even giving him a look or a smile. I thought that was rather rude but I guess I did the same. The waiter scurried off, probably scared to get on my fathers bad side .

“So, James, I guess you're wondering why I brought you here...” He said rather sternly like a lawyer stating his case, I just nodded and let him continue, “well, I got a call last night from Melanie. She told me that you proposed to her.”

At first I was shocked, why on Earth would my girlfriend call my dad but after a couple of minutes I guess it made sense. I didn’t have any siblings for her to call and my mother was sometimes out of reach, so I guess may it was for the better. Maybe she wanted to apologize or get back together.

He looked at me sternly, his eyes unapologetic, “Well Son, she said that, she will call you soon and explain it all. Don’t worry, there are things are going on right now in her life, so she needs a break.” I was so shocked that he so comfortably could say something like this to me, about my life not his. “I also have something else to talk to you about actually… have you been thinking about college?”

“Yes Father, I have actually.”

“Columbia? That is the ideal college, you know your grandfather, great grandfather and I have all gone there.”

“I know Father, I have applied to there but I...uh also applied to the Alfred University of Arts and Design.”

He gave me a look of terror but soon pushed it away with a roll of his eyes. “Why do you keep persisting on art, it is a pointless career path.”

“Because I love it,” I could feel the anger eating away my insides, we have been having this conversation since Sophomore year of high school but he still didn't get it. “It is what I want to do with my life, I love it so much.”

“No you don’t!” He told me in a firm voice, he didn't yell. MY father never yells but his strong brown eyes gave me a sense of fear that yelling could never have done.

“You can’t tell me what to do or what to feel, you don’t control my life and if I wanted to I could run away and be happy.”

“With who Melanie?”

“Yes!” The answer to that question was so obvious, why would he even consider asking it. By this point I was ready to leave and make my actions go with my words.

“Oh well than ask her exactly why she left you in the car last night. On one knee!”

“I will.” I got up and ran out of the country club doors. All I could think about was getting to the nearest phone and coffee.