Chapter 7

***

“Hey, how is it going?” I said into the small pink landline, S stood behind me her arms wrapped around my abdomen, her head laid on my shoulder. I worried she could feel the butterflies that were eating out the inside of my stomach.

“Oh… James, I haven’t seen you in forever. Oh I miss you my so much. You need to come over some time, bring your new roommate over too. Oh yes, I am actually great, I feel so alive after your father changed doctors. How are you?” My mother answered from the other line of the phone, I could almost feel her excitement at the sound of my voice.

“I am great, mother,” I said with a sigh, “when would be a good time for me to come over with S?”

“S?”

“Yes my roommate.”

“Oh…” She giggled, “of course, would tomorrow for a more fancy dinner work with you? I could get the chefe to make you favorite, roasted chicken lasagna!”

S looked up at me and mouthed out the words, ‘roasted chicken lasagna’ and she nodded in approval.

“Sure we can go,” I smiled slightly, fingers crossed nothing bad could happen at dinner. “You want us to dress fancy, fancy?”

“Well, I would love it. You know I don't get a chance to go out much.”

“Ok, ok…. we will be that at eight o’clock sharp. Does that sound good?”

“Yes perfect.”

“Well, see you then.”

“See you, and James, honey, I love you with all my heart.”

“I know.” I hung up the phone and smiled at S, “So dinner tomorrow night, dress fancy.” I winked at her, she smiled back, I knew she never got to dress fancy.

⇌⇌⇌

I rang the doorbell to my own home, it felt awkward. I felt like a stranger when this was the house I grew up in. I had on a nice suit, the one I wore the night I met S actually, I had it dry cleaned. S looked amazing, her hair was curled down her back and she wore a short teal blue silk dress. I had my hand wrapped in hers, I had never seen her try so hard to look nice before, it was interesting.

My mother answered the door, a glass of wine in one hand, a new scarf I had never seen before sat on her head. She smiled at me and at S, she gave us both a look up and down then she looked at our hands intertwined. A look of surprise flashed in her eyes but she pushed it away quickly. “James, welcome home.” She leaned in and hugged me and S, as she leaned away she gave S a big Manhattan smile. “You must be S, it is wonderful to meet you. Come in come in.”

She brought us both inside and led us through the house towards the living room, almost as if I didn’t know this house like the back of my hand. Then she stopped, she locked arms with S and looked her right in the eye, “you can go over into that room and take a seat, just not at the end chairs. Those are for the men of the family.” She smiled kindly.

As soon as S was out of the room she pulled me over and whispered, “What are you doing? What about Melanie, who is this ‘S’ girl? Are you seeing this girl?” Her voice was quiet but stern.

“Well, mother, Melanie dumped me, when I was down on one knee. S is amazing, give her a chance to blow you away, I know she will.”

“Okay, but you need to explain this girl to your father. That isn’t my problem.”