Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

The New Lifestyle

***

 I could hear voices resonating around in my head, voices that weren't mine, only convincing me further that I was dead, or just going crazy. 

 My legs hit the ground, propelling me forward with a speed I never knew I could achieve, the wind blowing the hair that now covered every inch of my body back, my eyesight clear, my nose in the air, smelling everything from the grass on the ground to the sweet tinge in the wind. 

 Something jumped into my line of vision, followed by a thought that wasn't my own.

 Stay down, Tony, it's okay.

I growled at the silver wolf in front of me, crouching into a defensive position at the canine in front of me. I don't know why, but instincts were taking over, and I didn't trust this thing. 

 I lunged at the opposition, but with stunning accuracy, it dodged to the side and tackled me , pinning my thrashing body to the ground. 

 Calm down, dipshit! Do you want to change back or not? 

Paul!

Another voice came into my mind, a commanding one, that made the silver wolf on top of me scurry off, I scrambled to my feet, growling at the large, brown wolf that entered. Bigger than any of the other ones, bigger than me. 

You need to phase back. 

I don't know how to do that, I don't know anything about what is happening to me, what happened to me. If I wasn't dead, I must be dreaming, this is impossible. Sleep paralysis, I could feel pain so real and so intense-

 You're not dreaming. The voice said, making me stop growling, and cock my head to the side, Was this actually happening? Am I actually a wolf? 

 Yes. Now, I need you to calm down, latch onto something that can calm you down. You can't phase back until you relax. 

 I began to recite the periodic table of elements in my head, since it was the only thing I could push into my fumbled brain. I swear I saw the silver wolf roll its eyes, and flurry of thoughts that I couldn't pick out rushed through my head.

 No, ignore them. Just focus, titanium, vanadium-

 When I got to zinc, I felt a tingling sensation spread through my limbs, vibrating through my bones like a mildly painful massage. I could feel my bones snap back into place, an action that hurt, but not nearly as bad as before, until I was human again, naked, shivering, and totally freaked out, but human. 

 I curled up into a ball on the forest floor, shivering, although I wasn't all that human. Everything ached, like I just ran a very long marathon, and I felt... bigger. Stronger almost, like my entire body changed right in front of my eyes. 

 It did. 

 "That was easier than I thought." 

 I looked up, my eyes meeting Paul Lahote's, who was tugging on a pair of cargo shorts. I felt my entire body burn bright red as he threw me a pair that I struggled into as fast as I could with my aching body.