Chapter Two

John could not sleep. His mind raced with all that had happened that evening. He could not stop smiling, though surely it was wrong to be so overjoyed. He had been wreckless, kissing Miss Hale in such a way. He had not kissed a woman for many a year, not since he was around eighteen. That was only once, a girl who worked at the drapers. He couldn't even remember her name now.

He did not know what to do; the Irish workers were arriving the following evening, and things would likely take a chaotic turn once it was known he had brought them into the mill. He did not know what would happen; if the strike would be broken or if the Irish would serve only to incite rage. In truth, he no longer cared. The Irish would enable the mill to resume operations, one way or another.

There was one thing he knew for certain; he must speak with Miss Hale as soon as possible. It would not do to allow too much time to pass, for she would think him a cad. Would a Southern gentleman kiss a beautiful young girl against a bookcase as he had done? He doubted it.

He would write a note, he decided, first thing in the morning asking if he could come for his lesson that evening instead of Monday.

Mr Hale, as it turned out, had been delighted to have the lesson moved up. John sat in Mr Hale's study at seven o'clock that evening. His heart raced as he caught sight of Marg-Miss Hale. She did not quite meet his eyes, but she greeted him warmly enough. She looked tired, John thought. As though she had been crying, perhaps.

"Hello John!" Mr Hale stood as came into the room. "It is good to see you. What a fine surprise it was to recieve word from you this morning. We did so enjoy the dinner party last night, didn't we Margaret?"

John looked over at her. In the dim light of the room, he could make believe there was a blush on her cheeks.

"Yes, it was a very pleasant evening." Miss Hale said with a nod. "Might I offer you a cup of tea, Mr Thornton?"

"Aye, thank you."

"It is just a shame Adam - Mr Bell - has a prior engagement this evening and cannot join us. So, I thought perhaps we could continue our discussion from last week?"

Miss Hale poured the tea, so hastily that some spilt onto the table. She muttered under her breath, wiping at it with the sleeve of her dress. John was not sure, but he thought he saw a slight tremble in her hand. Was she nervous? He certainly was; the sight of her caused his heart to pound.

"John?"

He had not spoken, he realised, for far too long.

"Uh, yes. Excellent."

"Here you are." Miss Hale placed the cup infront of him, before pouring a cup for her father.

His eyes could not be dragged away from her. If she would just look up for a moment, she would see him staring. He felt debauched in his leering of her, yet he could not stop.

"So, John-" Mr Hale began.

"Father, might I be excused?" Margaret said sharply.

Stay.

Mr Hale frowned.

"So soon, Margaret? Oh, I was hoping you would join us. It does me good to hear you two young people talk."

"If you wish me to stay, I shall, of course." Margaret smiled, taking a seat. "Though I am most tired, I do not know what sort of company I shall be."

"Nonsense dear, you are always wonderful company. So, John.."

John could barely recall what Mr Hale had said for the past two hours. He had muttered agreements, made a few half hearted points, but really he was useless. He could not stop thinking of the previous evening, of Miss Hale's body pressed against his.