Chapter Five

Mrs Thornton helped Margaret descend the steps of the mill. John followed them, silent and stalking. Margaret turned her head as she was helped into the carriage, catching sight of the coldest glare she had ever received. She turned her head away.

"Thank you, Mrs Thornton." Magaret mumbled as the carriage door was closed and the vehicle began to move.

Mrs Thornton sat to her right, looking at her with narrowed eyes. Margaret almost squirmed under her steely gaze, her hands clenching. John had certainly inherited his disposition from his mother.

"Miss Hale, as you know I do not mince my words. I will ask you a simple question and I expect a simple answer in return. What is going on between you and my son?"

"Excuse me?" Margaret asked, her breath catching.

She had not expected Mrs Thornton to be so straightforward in her interrogation; a mistake, perhaps, considering that Mrs Thornton was a very much a straightforward kind of woman.

"I've seen the way he looks at you. I've seen the way you look at him."

"I don't-"

Mrs Thornton interrupted her once more, clicking her tongue and folding her arms. Margaret was caught off guard; she certainly was not used to women speaking so plainly to one another. Another difference between the North and the South, one more to add to all of the others.

"Miss Hale, don't try and play the fool. Do you realise how inappropriate your behaviour was today?"

"What are you trying to accuse me of, Mrs Thornton?" Margaret asked, blinking at the sudden frankness. "I don't understand."

The carriage was too hot. Margaret felt as though she were being pushed down by some invisible force, her chest tight and her mind most cloudy indeed. The rocking of the vehicle on the rough streets did nothing to ease her discomfort.

"I think you sweet on my son. I think him similarly inclined to you."

Her heart pounded; what use was there in denying it? Though she was unsure of her own feelings, it had not been ten minutes since John had been on his knees confessing his love for her.

"Even if that were true, I do not see the need to discuss it-" Margaret began to speak, but she did not have a chance to finish before Mrs Thornton interrupted.

"Do not misunderstand my son's character, Miss Hale. You might think him hard or unfeeling, but I know otherwise. I have heard him speak of you incessantly, though I doubt he even realises he's doing it. His eyes light up whenever he sees you."

She felt her whole body heat with pure mortification. To hear that Mr Thornton spoke of her when she was not there was embarrassing enough, but to know that he did so to his mother! Margaret swallowed heavily. She did not know why knowing he spoke of her made her feel so - so ashamed, perhaps? Was he right? Had she been playing a game with his emotions? That had not been her intention, nor did she wish to cause him pain with her rejection. This whole situation had rapidly spiralled out of control, and Margaret felt utterly lost.

"I think-"

Mrs Thornton did not let her finish.

"If you're unsure of your feelings, as I suspect that you are from what I have seen today, do not give him any cause to hope you will change your mind. Not when his life is so fraught already. It would be cruel."

"My - my relationship with Mr Thornton is merely that he is my father's pupil." Margaret said.

"Then do not give him false hope." Mrs Thornton told her. "Do not embarrass him, Miss Hale. Do not put your own reputation at risk if you have no intention of marrying my son. I admit I have seen handshakes that have lingered too long, gazes that did not break soon enough. I want John to be happy. However, I must step in now that things have gone too far."