Chapter 9: Espirmailius

I wander through the halls of the castle, waving hello to a few of my classmates passing by. It has been a month since I have discovered Viritore and Edelin, and the adventure is still a wild ride.

I have decided to take classes from each major branch, and do group lessons for most of them, the outliers being healing, and stealth. Though I have yet to pick up any trades, I might try one to see what it feels like.

And with group classes, I have managed to meet almost everyone in the castle, from fellow warriors in training to some of the teachers and servants. But don't worry, I do get to spend time with my friends and family, especially Alador, because he gives me private lessons on the culture of Edelin, from the widely excepted to the very limited. We also get to tackle every book in his study, as I get to teach him about Mortealum... or Earth culture.

But right now, I'm walking through the training halls, wearing a flowing, knee-length silver dress, along with white flats and a grey satchel with various spellbooks, as I walk into the room marked with stars.

A large room made like a Colosseum that spectates the center where our teacher, Professor Desirae stood, flowing brown hair, with purple eyes, wearing black robes, and carrying a black wand and a spellbook.

She notices my presence as I take a seat in the second row, as more students file in. One of these is Lillith, whom I got to know more about, over this last month. She sits down next to me in a pink top and black skirt with pink heels. As Professor Desirae sends up fireworks to begin class.

"Good morning children, and welcome to a new class in magic," she smiles wistfully, as all eyes fall on her.

"Today we shall be learning about the magic of Espirmailius," Everyone gets out their books and flips to the page towards the middle of the book entitled after the topic in question.

"An Espirmailius is a sentient part of your soul that mainly takes an animal form, and can act separately of you," I look down at the book where it shows a leopard with black fur and gold spots and green eyes clinging to the side of the page.

"Does anyone know how they can be summoned?" Lillith raises her hand, not surprising as she has one herself, a sweet but cynical coyote she named Loki, after the Nordic trickster god, not the Marvel god sadly.

"They can be summoned in a multitude of ways, for those that are summoning there Espirmailius for the first time they have to drink the Water of Viritore, from the sacred tree, but after that, if they are dormant, few simple spells can be said or written to conjure them," Lillith explains, as I start to take notes in a little notebook I carry around.

"Correct, generally speaking, the first summoning of your Espirmailius happens in a ceremony around your 13th birthday, when they are most likely to be summoned, afterward it is a gamble on whether or not they can or want to come out," one of the girls raises her hand in the back.

"No Juleka, it doesn't mean you don't have a soul if you can't summon one, but does anyone know what an Espirmailius can do when summoned," several people, including Lillith, raise their hands.

"They can act as an advisor or guide," a boy to my left says.

"They can protect you from certain spells or weapons," a girl across from me states.

"They can act as an extra warrior or scout if needed," Lillith adds.

"They can be a friend to those who need it," someone continues.

"And when either summoned or dormant, they can help control and focus your magic," another concludes.

"All are correct, but all of you are forgetting one thing," Professor Desirae interjects. I glance at her confused as everyone seems to get what she means.