PROLOUGE

*artwork by szin

The smell of rose and lavender tickled my nose. I sunk further into my bath, drawing out a sigh as my eyes closed. My brows were knit together with stress and anxiety.

In two months' time, I am to be wed to the king of England, King George III.

I was anxious to meet him, as I had never met him in person before. I only had rumors to go off of, and they weren't pleasant.

I had heard the maids talking about him one day, whispering to one another about how he was arrogant, rude, and selfish.

This only brought more anxiety to my self.

I was the meek princess of Arstellio, always in the back, always quiet. Hardly did I voice an opinion.

Bruises littered my skin, as I gently raked my nails up my arm. My mother was harsh, mistakes were a fate punishable by death. Yet she could not kill me.

Only because of my soon-to-be marriage to George.

Every day she tried to sculpt me into something better, something the king would cherish. Yet every day, it was only another beating.

I let out a shaky sob, rising from my bath. I dried myself off then slipped into my nightgown. The day after tomorrow we would hold a masquerade, where people of high status would get together and judge what our kingdom has to offer.

"Y/n!" My mother barked, green eyes flashing dangerously as she entered my room.

"Yes, mother?" I quietly said, my own e/c eyes looking down at the ground. She believed this was some sort of way to show respect to someone you were inferior to.

"You'll never be able to bare heirs with your size." She hissed, her long brown hair pulled back into a braid. My mother was intimidating, and two heads taller than me.

"Okay." I simply said.

I flinched as she gave my cheek a slap. "Show some respect." She demanded.

I nodded, tears welling in my eyes. "The king will never love you if you continue to cry and mope about." She growled, leaving the room.

I wiped the tears out of my eyes, then settled into bed.