A Job

I made a promise that I'm now keeping--hopefully this will be the longest break I take in writing my beloved book, but sadly, with my life going the way it is currently, I can make no such promises...Zara, dear, this one is for you. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I nuzzled the love bite on Rylan's shoulder as he was bent over tying his boot, making him scoff and brush my face away as Tommy sat beside us, puffing slowly on a weed cigar. "Must you do that while I'm tying my shoes?"

I smirked, pulling him onto my lap after he finished, "Don't act like you don't love it. Admit it, you go gooey every time I get all handsy."

"God, you're full of yourself, Ortega." He muttered.

"Not as full as you'll be of me soon." He choked and his face went red as we howled again. Ry crossed his arms, shooting me another of his trademark glares.

"Not if you keep talking shit, that's how to ensure that I stay distinctly not full of you for quite some time." That shut me up pretty quickly, Tommy however, rolled over in fresh peals of laughter, and calling me whipped...I simply shrugged, unwilling to rock the boat, knowing exactly how stubborn Ry could get. I murmured apologies and kissed his soft spot, smiling softly against his warm pale skin as he melted in my arms, tensing only when a knock came on the door.

"I'll get it." Tommy offered. "Not like you two don't live here, but, ya know..." he shrugged and went to the door, speaking in hushed, tense Spanish to whoever was on the other side before coming back to where we sat, my cousin Raoul trailing behind him with a cruel smile on his face, looking jaunty for someone who was usually so sour.

Raoul took in the sight of Rylan in my lap and the wicked smile on his face spread slowly until his crooked, yellowed teeth were showing, folding his arms over his chest, giving my boy a very unimpressed, but interested once over. "Why, primo...I always wondered about you, what with the hair and how you never kept an old lady, but I didn't figure you'd go around flaunting it..." he sneered.

Rylan stiffened in my arms but managed to look bored as he snorted in response, his thin arms coming around my neck, setting his blind eyes on my cousin as though unimpressed with what he couldn't see. "What? As opposed to you who can't even admit it outside the gloryhole you visit on your knees that you spend your weekends at?" he bit back. "No need to be jealous of Andy just because he has bigger balls than you do for actually coming out of the closet once he knew he was in one." Ry tossed his pale blonde hair over his shoulder, kissing me softly and nibbling my lower lip for effect.

Damn my boy and his mouth...Raoul looked as insulted as Tommy looked like he was about to combust, attempting not to laugh as my cousin growled, balling up his fist, and taking a threatening step closer. "You better teach your bitch to keep his mouth shut before it get broke or put to work, Anthony." He hocked and spat right on Ry's shoe.

I had Rylan in Tommy's arms and Raoul's face pressed against the coffee table with a lighter dangerously close to his eye before he could even grunt in pain. "You ever threaten him, Raoul...ever again...and they'll never find all the pieces of you." I growled, pressing him into the material until I felt his arm ready to pop out of its socket. "Family or not...I won't put up with that shit like your dad did over your two cent whore of a mother. I will fucking end you, comprende?"

He growled in rage and tried getting up, but as much as he was physically larger than me, I was far stronger than him and as ruthless as he thought he was. Finally he gave a jerky nod and I released him, taking a shaky Rylan from Tommy, kissing his forehead and pulling him tightly into my side. "As cute," he spat out the word like it was an insult, panting slightly with a wild and angry look in his eye, "As all of this business is with you, cousin, I came for more than a social call. Your parents have been looking for you. You been gone a little too long and they wanted to make sure that you aren't trying to ditch the family again...Plus, they request you come see them. Soon. You got work to do, primo. And that isn't a request." I swallowed heavily giving a single tight nod as he headed back out the door, slamming it heavily behind him.