sixteen

─────── • ❥ • ───────

"Ugh, it's been a week, San," Wooyoung groaned annoyingly as he flopped his frame over the balcony outside the library. The black painted railings consisted of intricate gothic designs, and certainly didn't suit having a teenager throwing his weight against them.

The pureblood behind him sighed, watching the boy like a hawk for a week now, constantly cautious of the dangers he would face if left alone.

The glass double doors were shut behind them, giving privacy for their conversation as blocking out other students as they went in and out of the book maze.

"Darling, I promise you he is fine. I only visited him last night," San murmured, walking over and caging the boy against the rail, placing his hands on either side of his body as both faced the dreary campus which was a victim to the autumn weather.

"I want to see him...."

"It's not safe, and you know that."

Wooyoung huffed, looking down to view the various expensive rings adorning the older's beautiful hands. "You keep saying that....but I just know that Hwa wouldn't hurt me. V-Vampire or not," he paused, almost gagging at the word itself, "He's my best friend."

The older merely hummed in response, tilting his head back to catch the breeze drifting through. His hair flew back off his face, and he adored the sensation. "I know how you're feeling, Wooyoung. There have been times when I was separated from certain people I would prefer to hold close....but Park Seonghwa isn't himself right now. You'd barely recognise him when his mind and body are at war."

"How could Yeosang do this to him? Huh? This is why we did our best to avoid you people-"

"Do not grow angry at Yeosang!" San hissed, pinching his side warningly and sighing deeply to regain composure. "There is no pleasing your race, is there? Here we see that Yeosang saved your friend's life, granted him a new one, even. Yet all you can say in thanks are insults and 'what ifs'. Perhaps you'd have rathered he let him die then and there?"

The purplette grimaced, hearing it put that way and of course, feeling slightly guilty. "I didn't mean it like that..."

"Then stop blaming us, and start thanking the people who bless you with luck. It isn't so hard to see the bright side, Darling. You're just not looking hard enough."

Wooyoung turned around to face him in his arms, looking up slightly to view his stunning face. "Imagine the tables were turned, and it was I who miraculously turned you into a human. Would you count your lucky stars then? Or curse me for it?"

San eyed him carefully, clearly taking the question seriously as he took a few moments to process an answer. Finally, he settled on something he felt was right. "Of course I'd never choose to lose what I've always known. But if you were saving my life, and being a human was what it took to stay on this planet, and with you.....then I'd be eternally grateful."

"Liar-"

"I don't lie, Wooyoung," he interrupted quickly, looking over the boy's head and towards the grey sky. "If the truth requires stretching, then I shall do so. But blatant lying will never be a hobby of mine."

Wooyoung gazed up at him, momentarily swept away by his soft nature and commanding tone. He wasn't so lucky as to be immune to the irresistible charm of Choi San. Though he could fight it when the situation called for it. "You know, of all the humans in the school....in the world, even....you could've picked someone who tolerated you better than I do."

San chuckled fondly, covering his mouth and realising he had slipped up in public. "Mmm, I could've. But the real fun is in the chase, Jung Wooyoung. And I shall not stop until you agree to be my 'toy'."

"And what if that day never comes?" The younger asked with quite a cocky tone, tilting his head as he leaned in further for effect. "Will you give up?"

San leaned in even closer, cheekily pressing a kiss to his cheek and standing back to smile at the other's flustered reaction. "Of course not, Darling. I don't accept losses very well."

Wooyoung groaned, pouting like a child and throwing a weak fist to his chest, "Can't you let me see Seonghwa? Just once?"

"No."

"Okay, so say I'd agree to be your 'toy' for a time-"

"Darling, no. As tempting as that offer is, your life is more important than my needs or desires. I am not separating you both for some sort of sick entertainment," he sighed, massaging his temples, "I am doing it to save you both a lot of pain. He'll want to feed from you, Woo. You'll be the first human he'll have seen since he changed."

The more the purplette thought about it, the more sense things started to make. A certain someone came to mind actually, that would've explained everything. "Then....is Yunho new?"

"Yes, he is. I'm still training him, but he's been a vampire for about ten months now. Hence, his vicious nature."

Of course, that's so much more obvious now, the younger thought, linking a few dots and coming to terms with it all now. It still didn't soothe his heart any further, though. Not having Seonghwa by his side was like losing a limb.

The ravenette eyed him with solemn eyes and did understand how the male was feeling. There wasn't a lot he could do other than distract him at times, and even that was hard now after a week. "Come with me for a walk. Lunch time is almost over, after all."

"Where are we going?"

"Nowhere that'll put you in immediate danger, how about that?"

Wooyoung sighed, rolling his eyes though following the taller all the same. There wasn't much else he could do until he concocted a decent enough plan to find Seonghwa.

─────── • ❥ • ───────