Chapter Eighteen: Undercurrent

The hospital receptionist was the first person to not blink at Winter's ragged appearance. She had seen far worse. Winter nodded at her as she passed, walking fast, coat billowing behind her. She headed straight for River's room.

Winter threw open the door with enough force to make Phoebe yelp in surprise. Phoebe spun around. "Winter?"

"Phoebe?" Winter crossed the room. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry, I was just going to be in and out real quick. I didn't want to disturb your brother, but there were some files left in here that I needed." She held up the folder in her right hand. "Say, you didn't see the Plague Saint on your way here, did you? He's usually here by now."

Oh. Right. Winter looked down. She was Winter Pierce, not the Plague Saint. "Uh, I—" Her hand slid into her pocket. Her fingers wrapped around the vial of plague cure. "I did see him, actually, but he was on his way to meet the mayor. He gave me this." She held up the cure. "Said he made it last night and I had to get it to River right away. It's an emergency."

Phoebe stared at her blankly. "He gave it to...you? Not a nurse or doctor?"

Winter shrugged. "I must have been the first person he saw, and it's for River anyway. I don't see why it matters."

"Well, hospital protocol, for starters."

"Since when have you cared about following protocol?" Winter asked. "My brother's going to die if I don't get him this damn medicine!"

She immediately regretted raising her voice. Phoebe didn't even look angry, she looked—worried? Why was everyone so concerned all of a sudden?

"I'm sorry," Winter said. "But he's on the verge of death." She walked to the IV stand and fiddled with the bag. Nothing she hadn't done before. Just pour in the vial, and—"

"What are you doing?" Phoebe shrieked. She rushed to Winter's side. "At least let me get a nurse—"

"Relax, I know what I'm doing." Winter moved quickly, leaving Phoebe to watch with a stunned expression.

"How did you know how to do that?" Phoebe asked. She looked Winter up and down. "And are you okay? You look awful."

"I didn't sleep well."

"Have you eaten?"

"I had a croissant. And coffee." Winter swung her bag around to her front to put the vial in.

Phoebe's eyes widened. "Where did you get that bag?"

"Uh, it's mine?"

"It looks exactly like the Plague Saint's." Phoebe folded her arms. "Seriously, what's going on? Everyone I know is acting super weird. And by everyone, I mean you and my uncle and the Plague Saint. And apparently someone set a fire in our apartment building last night, on top of all that."

"A fire? That's crazy." Winter zipped the bag up before Phoebe could see its contents. "I have to show you something."

"What?"

"What part of that was unclear?" Winter headed for the door. Take Phoebe to the boat. Come back to check on River. Find the rest of the ingredients.

Phoebe jogged to catch up. "What do you have to show me?"

"You'll see. I promise, you're going to be interested. It's going to explain everything that's been happening."

"Can you at least tell me where we're going?"

"Not really."

They were nearly to the lobby. Phoebe looked around. "I can't just leave, I'm in the middle of my shift—"