Prologue

Floyd: It really is nice to have a day to myself every now and then. 

In a cafe in the city of Vale, a casually dressed teen sits enjoying a drink. He has red and black hair, along with a pair of red eyes. This is Floyd Branwen, son of Qrow Branwen and the late Summer Rose. 

Floyd: I mean, I love my family, and I can tolerate my little "job", but it's nice to have some peace every now and then. 

As he finishes his drink, a waitress comes by his table.

Waitress: I see you enjoyed your hot cocoa sir. Would you like another one?

Floyd: Absolutely! Thank you. 

Floyd says this with a kind expression, causing the server to gain one of her own. However, as he finishes his drink, the bell rings and the door opens. An older gentleman in suit like clothing with a black and green color scheme walks in. He has silver hair and is wearing spectacles. He looks around like he's trying to find someone, and notices Floyd rather quickly. He then approaches the young man's table. 

???: Hello there! I was wondering if you'd mind me sitting here, all the other tables are full. 

Floyd takes a look around to confirm, and sure enough, all the tables are full. He turns to the man, who he now notices is carrying a file with some documents in it. 

Floyd: I don't mind at all, sir. However, may I ask your name? 

The man smiles and adjusts his glasses, before giving a reply.

???: I am Professor Ozpin, Headmaster of Beacon Academy. I suspect that you may have heard of me?

His eyes light up like lamps at this. 

Floyd: Absolutely! I applied to Beacon this year, and you're a real inspiration sir!

Ozpin: That's good to know, and the application is why I came here. I'd like to speak with you, face to face. 

Floyd is bursting with excitement! However, the mood is about to become more mixed than upbeat. 

Ozpin: The main reason I wanted to speak with you is your night job. If it weren't for that, I would've let you in instantly. Some people, like my assistant Glynda Goodwitch, would decline and report you, but I think there's more to it than meets the eye.

Floyd instantly goes from excited to neutral and nervous.

Floyd: Alright then sir. I assume you'll have questions for me? 

Ozpin: Yes. I'll ask you some questions and you just answer me honestly.

Floyd braces himself, but agrees. 

Floyd: Alright sir, ask away.

Ozpin takes a minute to get himself situated, and then asks the first question. 

Ozpin: Question one. Why did you become Deadshot? 

Floyd: When my mother died, my dad and Uncle Tai couldn't provide for themselves, Ruby, Yang, Me, and the two dogs. Not all of us at once. But at that point, I had learned to use guns so well that my classmates at Signal, bar Yang, were terrified of me. I never missed a shot. I realized just how much being a mercenary and hitman paid, and I decided I'd do it for the good of my family. No financial struggle anymore. 

Ozpin: That's not what I expected, and it's surprisingly noble. So far, I see nothing wrong. Now, question two. Did you enjoy killing your targets? 

Floyd: As a whole, no. In one or two cases, yes. 

Ozpin: Would you mind elaborating? 

Floyd: It was mostly just the hit on Lawrence Blackwell. I got a good look into what he and his security chief were doing, and I would have likely taken them down even without the contract. What his company did to the Faunus. . .I shudder to think of it.