Day 51-1: Slapjack

DAY 51-1: SLAPJACK

   "Orian, stop straying so far behind."

   His wolf ears twitch at the mention, and he pokes his head out from behind the large rock he's cowering behind. Although he's wearing his trademark mask as they stroll through the city of Meisyr, it's become apparent he isn't the only one donned in it.

   Every citizen they've passed is clad in equally ominous masks, not to mention multicoloured cloaks as well. From the small businesses off to the sides of the road, selling odd looking fruits and vegetables—meats, too—to the kids scampering freely across the streets, the city is bustling. Leda's surroundings, alongside the mannerisms of the public, vastly mirrors olden times.

   "Would you care to try some?"

   Leda trains her eyes to the source to find a child extending a plum-like fruit. The design of their mask bears resemblance to a monkey, and by their pitched voice, it's most definitely a girl.

   "Um, thanks?" Leda says, receiving the strange fruit.

   She titters. "You're welcome, miss!"

   The girl momentarily gazes behind her, at a stand a foot away. Two adults minding the store, vending a wide assortment of fruits, offer polite greetings and laughs to their customers. Are they possibly her parents?

Leda's focus is returned by the tug of her pants. Before their departure, Nia had supplied her with proper clothing alongside other necessities (including a shower, to which Leda very much appreciated).

"Miss," the girl calls again. She reaches for her mask and removes it. Her adorable face is revealed, the brightest blue hair cropping her head. And when she opens her eyes, Leda freezes. Her amber eyes, akin to gemstones themselves, are gorgeous enough to pierce her soul. "You can have this!"

Leda stares blankly as she beckons it forward. "Your... mask? Why?"

She responds with a toothy grin.

Albeit bemused, Leda curl her fingers over the china. As soon as she does, she giggles once more before retreating with a wave. Immobile, Leda watches as she dashes and disappears into the gaggles of citizens with various hair colours so as to near her parents' shop. Then, she peers at the tiny mask. Aside from the peculiar layout, it contains holes for both the eyes and mouth. Raising the fruit, Leda brings it close enough to sniff. It has such a sweet fragrance...

"M-master Leda..."

The red-haired wolf has long since left the rock he'd been quaking behind. Instead, he quivers in his boots behind her.

Leda immediately frowns at him. "What's your issue, Orian? Ever since we left you've been a mess."

He stiffens and drops his head in shame. "I-It is just... I have never parted from the Deck Tower or House of Cards since I was young..."

Leda blinks, raking in a good glimpse of him. He did say that. But, young? He looks fairly youthful now. Eighteen, maybe? Twenty is also believable. "You've been trapped in that small area for years?"

"I have come into the town if necessary, but yes. Ever since I fled to Meisyr, I've always been by Master Rhett's side."

Rhett did say that Meisyr is a gathering of refugees from the four kingdoms. Orian is one of them? That's interesting.

"Still," Leda says, "I need you to guide me through this place..."

The bag on her shoulder is a heavy reminder of the books she has stored inside. Once she gets the opportunity, she's promised Orian to at least try reading one, if not all, of them. Nonetheless, the most important matter at the moment is to head to the Land of Edaps. According to Orian, travelling there will take two days on foot, meaning they need to move fast. Especially if they're on such a huge time crunch.